George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

BMW 645Ci I have a 2004 645 ci with 85 K miles and the heater

I have a 2004 645 ci with 85 K miles and the heater blows cold air only. I replaced the water pump and changed the antifreeze recently and then the heater problem started.
Category: BMW
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

George :

Did you bleed the system properly?

Customer :

I did not bleed the system. However, the heater worked fine for a couple of days after my repairs.

Customer :

George,

George :

I will be right with you.

Customer :

I am geting a system generated e-mail asking me to "ACCEPT" your answer so you can get paid. I don't feel I have an answer yet. If your answer is in fact that I should bleed the cooling system, could you at least tel me where to find the bleed screw and describe the procedure?

George :

Sorry for the confusion I don't know why you received this email, and to answer your question no this was not my answer. This was my 1st step in trying to determine what is wrong since this problem started since you replaced the water pump.

George :

To properly bleed the cooling system you start when the engine is cold, open the expansion tank cap and then turn the ignition to the 2nd position (Do not start the engine) then turn on the heater and set both drivers & passenger side temperature's to the maximum temperature setting. This will open both heater control valves and also run the auxilary water pump, which will circulate the coolant throughout the entire system while you slowly add coolant to the system until it is full. Once the system is full leave the cap off and start the vehicle and let it run at idle for 1 minute, then top off the coolant level and install the expansion tank cap and tighten it down. Now run the engine at 3500 rpm's for at least 10 minutes or until the thermostat has opened. Then you can let the engine idle again for 5 minutes, after the engine has fully cooled down check the coolant level and top off as needed.

Customer :

George,

George :

Yes.

Customer :

I tried bleeding the system as you described with no luck. I noticed that if I set the heater control to the defroster position hot air comes out.

George :

When it is set to the defrost position it opens the heater control valves 100% and also activates the a/c compressor, this is also the emergency feature if there is a failure in the system.

George :

And when in any of the other vent positions you don't have any hot air at all?

Customer :

That's right. Hot air only in the defrost position.

George :

And this only started happening since you replaced the water pump?

Customer :

Correct

George :

I am going to assume you replaced the water pump because it was leaking?

Customer :

Yes

George :

Can you run down the procedures you used to replace the water pump? Something is not making sense here.

Customer :

First I removed the air inlet tube and air box to make room. Then I remove the accessories drive belt. Then the electrical connections and hoses. Then just r/r the pump and put everything back the way it was.

George :

Ok did you check all of the fuses?

Customer :

I have not checked the fuses. What should I look for and where?

George :

You have serveral fuse locations if you look in your owners manual it will show all of the locations, just make sure none of the fuses are blown.

George :

Then if all of the fuses are good I want you to try what is known as a battery reset.

George :

To perform the battery reset disconnect the battery Negative cable 1st and then disconnect the Positive cable, cover the battery negative & positive posts with a shop rag so they are not accidently touched.

Customer :

I will try that when I get home tonight and let you know. However, would the car not tell me there is a blown fuse? It tells me when I have a blown licence plate bulb.

George :

Then take the battery cables that you removed and touch them both together for at least 20 minutes, then you can hook them backup to the battery. Hook up the positive cable 1st and then the negative cable.

George :

No it will not tell you when you have a blown fuse.

George :

The battery reset procedure is like rebooting your home P.C. when it locks up, the samething will happen to control modules at times in the vehicle because they are all just like your P.C.

Customer :

OK, I will try that and let you know. Thanks

George :

If after performing the battery reset you still have the same problem then it will need to be hooked up to diagnostics in order to find out what has happened. I don't think it has anything to do with the water pump replacement since it was fine for a few days after, and also because the defroster will blow hot which is the emergency default setting for the system when there is a failure in the system.

George :

So at that time there will be no other tests I can give you to try on your own, it will have to be hooked up to diagnostics to see what has gone wrong and where the problem is.

George :

If I have answered your question I ask that you please accept.

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.