Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW 528i what causes the dash light that is a triangle with

what causes the dash light that is a triangle with an exclamation point with a circular arrow to come on? How to correct it and how will it affect the operation of this 1997 528i BMW? Thanks, Vivean
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome. This indicates a fault within you traction control system. It is not operating at present. It is possible it was just switched off by accident, so you can try to turn it back on by pressing the button. If this does not work, then you will need to have the fault codes read from the car to determine the exact failure, as there are a number of sensors that can cause this system to go offline. Please drive carefully as you do not have traction control at present.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button. .

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Which button are you referring to? I can't touch the buttonon the dash.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

There should be a button labelled DTC, DSC or ASC near the center console. This is the button I am referring to.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button as this is the only way I receive any credit whatsoever for the assistance I have provided today.

Edited by Steve on 1/3/2011 at 10:17 PM EST