Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

How do you unlock the steering wheel lock

Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this problem.

When the steering wheel lock warning comes on this is a failure of the internal steering lock inside the steering column. When this happens the steering column will not release and the steering wheel remain locked.

You can try to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then retry but the steering column usually needs to be replaced due to the lock is not replaceable separately.

This is actually a quite common problem we see.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and let me know if I can try to help you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
steering column usually needs to be replaced due to the lock is not replaceable separately. This statement above means the lock is bad and needs removal?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Correct. The steering wheel lock is electrical on your BMW and when if fails the steering wheel cannot be moved. What we have to do at the dealer is have it dropped off inside the building by a tow truck or we do the work outside in the vehicle where it was dropped due to the steering cannot be disengaged. We install a steering column in the vehicle so that it then can be brought inside and if need be programmed as well with this repair. The lock mechanism is integral in the steering column and not replaceable as a separate component.

Please let me know if I can try to help you further. Sorry to give you the bad news about the column replacement.

-Roger