Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW cooper: experiencing fault code P0705 and it seems there

Customer Question

experiencing fault code P0705 on our 2003 mini cooper.  CVT transmission was recently serviced (including filter) and was working fine.  It also seems that there is a brief delay when putting car into "R" or "D" before you feel it engage.  Car has about 74,00 miles and runs great
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
hello and welcome. did this start exactly when you had the transmission serviced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I think its been there, but the trans service seemed to help for a day or so. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back on, but trans still seems slight slow on engaging. I was wondering if it could be the Rotational Speed Sensor?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. This cods indicates a problem with the transmission range sensor. You can try cleaning the connections but you will most likely need to have yours replaced.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no listing for a transmission range sensor, only a rotational speed sensor that is on the transmission. I need more insight on what a rotational speed sensor does and if it could be the cause to be helpful, any thoughts
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
can I please have the last 7 digits of the vin of the car
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WMWRC33453TJ50992
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Below is the requested information

I hope that helps. Please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button as this is the only way I receive any credit for the assistance I have provided today.

Thanks,

Steve

1 below is the rotational speed sensor part number 24357518732 and $308

Parts diagram

2 below is the selector lever part number 24507573538 and $43

Parts diagram

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Never mind, I already have this information. I really just need to know what the rotational speed sensor does.

Have a good day
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

A rotational speed sensor does exactly what its name implies.

Please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button as this is the only way I receive any credit for the assistance I have provided today.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I think your answer that "A rotational speed sensor does exactly what its name implies" isn't very helpful. The information you have provided is less than what I was able to find on the internet before I paid my deposit. If you can't provide any insight as to a tie in with the P0705 code and my question as to the slow engagement of the transmission, I really haven't been helped. The two pieces you referred me to, one has no electrical connection and the other can't be explained. Sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

The rotational speed sensor senses rotational speed.

Even if you are on a subscription you must still press ACCEPT

Many thanks.

Steve