Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW 325i: 2002 bmw 325i...coolant light comes on occasionally

2002 bmw 325i...coolant light comes on occasionally but car does not overheat...last night left rear floor was soaked but there does not appear to be any leaks; windshield is hard to defrost, my mechanic thought it was a heater hose problem but it was not....he said it might be the head gasket but i cannot afford that...what do you think?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

The coolant light will come on if the coolant is low, or if the level sensor is faulty. If you are positive the coolant level is fine, then the sensor will need to be replaced.

For the wet rear seat, this is most likely due to a bad door seal. This can be verified by power washing the car with an assistant inside who can watch for water ingress.

If the car is not producing sufficient heat to defrost, then you may have a bad heater valve.

It does not sound like you have a head gasket problem at all.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button. .

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the door seal is fine; it is using coolant; the light comes on about once every two weeks and needs adding...mechanic says that left rear is lowest part of car that would collect a coolant leak....???
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

It should be easy enough to check for coolant leaks with a pressure test. And, you can buy an inexpensive kit at autozone that will test for gases in the cooling system, which will confirm a headgasket failure. This should resolve any uncertainty.

In the back seat, this is most likely water leaking in somehow, not coolant.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one more was the floor not the seat...does that make a difference? what warning code suggests a head gasket problem?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

My diagnosis on the rear flood remains as water leakage - door, window or sunroof leak.

Overheating and misfire codes can indicate a bad headgasket. Sometimes no codes are set, depending on the nature of the failure. The autozone test kit is a cheap and effective way to verify.