Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 740il: navigation..nav...the radio also cuts..few minutes

My 2001 740il navigation screen is blank. It is a late model 2001 with the wide screen nav. I know this is a related problem, but the radio also cuts out every few minutes... so I need to hit the power button twice, once to turn it off, and once to turn it back on. I do see the nav screen flicker when it is dark out, and can see that it's definately 'on' despite being just black and having no image. Previous posts refer to the problem being only the nav module. Is this true? If so, please clarify if this is the navigation unit that accepts the disk, or if there is an actual module/box somewhere else in the trunk? I know it has to be matched to my 01 with the wide nav... but will a 01 5-series with the wide nav for example be a compatible donor car? Even better, if you have a part number for the unit available, that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Hello and welcome. These are hallmark symptoms of a failed navigation computer, the unit in the trunk. The part number will be printed on the unit so you can match this with a replacement. A replacement will need to be programmed to the car at a dealer.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button. .

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The navigation unit meaning the actual unit where the nav disk is inserted, not another module, correct? Thanks
Can I please have the last 7 digits of your vin to post the schematic?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dp28205

Part 2 below. Part number 65906915036

if you have rear screen display it will be different, but I assume you do not.

Parts diagram