Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

BMW X3 3.0i I have OBD codes of 2883 and 27CD on a 2005 BMW

I have OBD codes of 2883 and 27CD on a 2005 BMW X3. Code reader from Bavarian Autosport--manual with reader is not much help. Have reset and driven a few times--same codes. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

The 2883 code appears to be Code 2883 ( Fuel Rail Press Regulation or Mixture Preparation Bank 2)

The code 27cd relates to the DMTL system. This is the diagnostic module tank leakage fault. This is a test that is run to check the air tightness of the purge system for the fuel tank and carbon canister. This fault will set when a problem in the system arises.

What we use at the dealer is a test plan that activates the DMTL test and can determine if there is a leak in the system or if the pump itself may be faulty. The other item may be the purge valve stuck open also contributing to the mixture fault for bank 2.

If an air leak is determined in either the intake system or the fuel DMTL system the best course of action is to perform a smoke test of these systems to locate the source of the leaks.

I hope this information is helpful. Please remember to hit the accept tab.

Kind Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply - I will accept that answer, just one last question. If I drive the car a few hundred miles more and I in risk of damaging the car or being stranded by the side of the road?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

That is an important question. I do not see how this should really effect any system by causing any damage. The dmtl fault sets due to emissions regulations as hydrocarbons can be release into the atmosphere. This will not cause any driveability issues. The mixture situation may lead to poor fuel economy but if the vehicle has not been misfiring then it is not a catalytic converter damaging situation.

A few hundred miles should cause no damage to your vehicle :) And these faults do not indicate any situation that would leave you stranded.

I am glad I could help. Thank you in advance for your accept :)

Kind Regards,

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.