Anthony
Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

2001 bmw: intermittent check engine (..position sensor.. accelerator

Customer Question

I have a 2001 BMW 325I. I have an intermittent check engine (comes on for a few days, goes off a few days). I purchased a Bavarian autosport fault code reader and the code set is 6F for table 19 - Pedal position sensor 2. It has a "drive by wire" accelerator and I replaced that - code still comes back. I have cleaned the idle air control valve and the car feels like its running ok. Any ideas on what the pedal position sensor 2 is and why the code is intermittent?
Category: BMW
Expert:  jan073 replied 6 years ago.

jan73 :

COuld you provide the Pxxxx code please?

Customer :

I don't know what you're talking about

Customer :

Last 7 of VIN are FU85307

jan073 :

Do you have a 3 digit fault code then?

Customer :

The Bavarian autosport code reader returned table 19 code 6f. Looking at the table it says "pedal position sensor 2".

Customer :

You there?

jan073 :

I am not familiar with this fault code, I will opt out. Hopefully someone else can assist you better.

Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer. Welcome to justanswer!

Different expert here...

Is that the only code you have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's it. The only code.

Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.
Thats a bad pedal position sensor. Not a hard job to do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is "drive by wire" I replaced the accelerator pedal already. I also cleaned the IAC valve.
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.
What code was there before the pedal sensor was replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Same code.
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.
Was the pedal sensor from BMW?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My repair manual and the table from where I pull the fault codes both show there is a pedal position sensor 1 and a pedal position sensor 2. I don't know where the pedal position sensor 2 is. As I said, I replaced the accelerator pedal - brand new part from Bavarian, not a problem with the part I am sure. I don't know if that is were the pedal position sensor 2 is located.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's a BMW part.

Do you know where the pedal position sensor 2 is?

Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay...

PPS #2 is part of the pedal sensor. Is there any way you can borrow a regular code tester to double check the vaidilty of your current one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is it? That's the only code reader I have. I trust it and the part.
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

I just checked the code chart myself you're working from. If you trust the code then the wiring or the Engine Computer (DME) is bad if the Pedal Sensor is good. Thats why I wanted you to verify the code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a pedal position sensor 1 and a pedal position sensor 2. I still don't know where the pedal position sensor 2 is located. I don't think it is in the accelerator that I replaced. Perhaps it's the sensor that receives the signal from the accelerator. My question was what is it? I have also asked where it is several times and still have not received the answer. I think a BMW tech needs to review. Thank you for your time.