George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

I have a 740il BMW that went into Transmission Failsafe Program.

I have a 740il BMW that went into Transmission Failsafe Program. How do I fix it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  George replied 4 years ago.

George :

Did you have the fault memory read?

Customer :

not sure what that mean

George :

When the transmission goes into failsafe it means something is not fuctioning correctly inside the transmission or signal inputs for the transmission. When this happens the transmission control unit will store fault codes for what ever is causing the problem. And based on what fault codes are stored will determine the diagnosis and repairs that need to be performed.

Customer :

i was told by shop that i have to get a rebuild transmisson. is that true.

George :

That would depend on what fault codes are stored, when the transmission goes into failsafe it does not always mean that it needs to be rebuilt.

Customer :

the only problem is taking off and after i get pass 20mph then it drives ok

George :

That is because when the transmission is in failsafe mode it does not start off in 1st gear like it normally would. It starts off in 3rd gear that is why it is so slow to start off, you dont want to continue to drive the vehicle to long like this because it causes a lot of slippage inside the transmission which will cause you to have to get it rebuilt.

Customer :

that person at this shop told me i could drive the car.

Customer :

so the best thing is i have to take the car to the dealer?

George :

Yes but for only a short period of time that is why it goes into failsafe mode so as not to leave you stranded on the road somewhere. If you continue to drive it like this for alot of miles you will be causing damage to the clutch plates.

Customer :

since the guy told me i could drive the car and it wouldn't get worser. i have drove it about 30-35 miles so far.

George :

You can take it to the dealer that would be my best recommendation only because there are several software updates for your transmission which take care of a number of different problems. I don't know what your final out come will be if it is something software related or a sensor problem or possible valve body or torque converter issue. Or at the worst case it needing a re-built transmission, but the dealer is the best equipped for diagnosing your problem. Doesn't mean you have to get the repairs done with them.

George :

30 - 35 miles is not going to due any further harm, it will if it is being driven all the time on a daily basis.

George :

100 - 150 miles would be the maximum you would want to drive it.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful''''

George :

Your welcome.

George :

If I answered your question I ask that you please accept.

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.