Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2009 335i: It has had the fuel pump replaced 3 times

I own a 2009 335i. It has had the fuel pump replaced 3 times. On the last repair, it received the new "re-engineered" pump and the computer remapped. At the same time, it also had repairs to the VANOS. But what concerns me the most is that there were grooves worn on the oil ledgers which resulted in an engine tear down and repair. Since then, my car has become more and more sluggish and it seems that my fuel economy has suffered. Any thoughts on the problem and is the issue with the obvious oiling problem in the engine a common problem in these vehicles?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to justanswer. The fuel pump issue is very very common, as are vanos issues. The oiling problem is not but I certainly understand your concern. My suggestion to you is to have your dealer involve the "regional technical manager" and possibly bmw engineering in new jersey in order to authorize a fix for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press ACCEPT so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated whatsoever until you press accept. None of the deposit you have paid will be transferred until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess my question is: am I over reacting to the engine repair or does it seem as serious as I think it is. Bear in mind that I have some knowledge of automobiles, although much simplier engines. From what I can tell from the last repair invoice, the warn parts were replaced, but I do not see where anything was done to identify and fix the oiliing problem. If that is not done, it would seem that the problem is bound to reappear. I am not confident that my concern can be adequately addressed given the history on the vehicle to this point.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
This is not a common problem as I mentioned. I do agree that if the work did not address the root cause for the wear, it will likely occur again. And I can definitely see why you have lost confidence in the car/engine. Again, I would suggest you escalate the issue to involve the regional manager, engineering and bmw customer service. You will need to go through those channels if you hope for a fix or buy back of the car. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please use the accept button if satisfied. Thanks. Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

you are welcome. good luck.