George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

Rear windows on my 325i wont roll up

rear windows on my 325i wont roll up
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, what happens when you try to roll them up? Do they make any noises at all? Did they both fail at once, or at different times?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes they both rolled down at the same time and they make noise when I try to roll them up
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like your window regulators have failed. This is not uncommon. You will need to replace them.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok let me paint a better picture because I'm finding it hard to believe both rear window regulators failed at the same time. My wife went to the store and when she came out for know apparent reason she claims the windows were half way down. She attempted to roll them back up but they stayed in that position she was able to roll them down but now they wont come back up. Yesterday she saw a symbol indicating a anti-trapping malfunction
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Ok that is pertinent info. That is very different that what you stated initially. You will need to try to reinitialize the windows. Roll them all the way down and keep pressing the down button for an additional 17 seconds. Then roll them all the way up and keep holding up for 17 second after they are up. If this does not work you have a failure of the anti trap system.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How i I initiATE THE TEST WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE ALL THE WAY DOWN AND I CAN'T GET THEM TO COME UP

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
What kind of noise do they make then you try to roll them up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It makes a noise as if it is trying to work then it stops, this last no more than 5 sec
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
That isn't the anti trap function then, it is most likely the regulators. The inside door panels will need to come off to confirm and repair.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Steve how do I take the doors off and is it normal for both regulators to fail at the same precise time, that is just baffling to me

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
If the motors are turning and there is no motion of the windows, there is a mechanical failure. Please provide me with the last 7 digits of your vin and I will supply door panel removal instructions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Steve no one sits in the back seat my wife rides with the AC on those windows don't come down there is no need. I'm racking my brains to figure out how I get catastrophic failur on both regulators at the same time. The last seven characters of the VIN is KR79248
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Do you hear the motors turning when you hit the switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES AND THEN NOTHING AFTER 1 SEC
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
You said before it takes 5 seconds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

True statement but I have been operating the windows to determine how long it takesbefore i get no noise at all. I mean its real quick. I lift the switch up I hear a noise coming from that window as though its trying and then nothing

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to go ahead and opt out and see what other experts might think.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey appreciate what you have done thus far, next
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
Are you able to remove 1 of the door panels on your own?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The other technician was suppose to send me instructions on how to remove the door, last seven of the VIN is KR79248
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

I know it seems odd that both rear window regulators would fail just like that at the same time, even though they are never used.

That is exactly the problem because they are never used, the window glass becomes almost fused to the window guide weather stripping and to lower the glass takes a lot more effort. At the top and bottom of the window regulators are plastic (brittle) pulleys that the steel cable runs on, these normally break over time. But in your case all the extra effort needed has most likely broken these pulleys.

And this is why you cant move the windows anymore once it fails like this the steel cable gets caught up in the motor mechanism and hence the grinding noise for a few seconds but no movement.

I have posted a picture of the rear window regulator and you can see the fragile plastic pulleys on the top and bottom of the regulator.

__________

Parts diagram
No. Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes
01WINDOW LIFTER REAR LEFT151357140589$87.27
01WINDOW LIFTER REAR RIGHT151357140590$87.27
02Drive for window lifter, rear left167626927025$147.05
02drive for window lifter, rear right167626927026$147.05
03Window guide, left rear door151347060257$68.11
03Window guide, right rear door151347060258$68.11
04seal, rear left side window151347060219$13.33
04seal, rear right side window151347060220$13.33
05Hex nutM6607146951627$0.53
06Fillister head screw307147144084$2.05

Notes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok the last technician stated he had instructions for removing the door panels, pleas provide

Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

graphic

Locate the wood grain/metallic panel that runs the length of the

door panel. Using your Plastic panel removal tool, pry from the front edge and carefully work your

way toward the back of the panel. There is a small hook that slides inward towards the rear of the panel.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Now to remove the door handle trim carefully pry the trim outwards. Then you can remove the screws and then pry out the door panel.

_________

Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay I had a hard time converting the photos for some reason. Even though this is a front door panel it is the same procedure.
George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George

__

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.