Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2005 bmw x5 4.8is: a slot in the arm rest where a handset is located

i have a 2004/2005 bmw x5 4.8is with built in telephone. this phone has the sim placed into a slot in the arm rest where a handset is located. my problem is in getting the handset to see the main car phone. the phone works ok just i cannot use the handset. with the handset i have tried to search for the car phone base but it picks nothing up it can however see my normal mobile phone. i dont have any manuals with the car and have tried to look on the web but cant find one. the handset does show bmw 75024 on its screen
any help and advice appreciated thank you.

i still await an answer or some notification as have sent paypal payment already

thanks

stuart
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Stuart,

The base in this vehicle was only made for the Motorola Star tack mobile phone (a very old version of phone). I do not think it will be compatible with the wiring that you have. In my experience I have never seen anyone able to use this prewire with any existing phone.

If the vehicle is bluetooth compatible, then you should be able to pair a bluetooth phone to the vehicle. The best way to check this is to take a look at the Telephone communication unit as you will need the passkey to connect to the vehicle. The TCU is located in the trunk on the left rear side under a black panel. The rear trunk center panel comes out and on the left is a black square plastic piece. This is removed with a 10mm socket (3 plastic nuts) then this pulls out. The TCU is located in the well on the left side. If it is bluetooth compatible is should have a PK (number) on the white sticker. This unit often locks up so it would be a good idea to unplug the slide connector for a few minutes and then reconnect. At that point you need to start the vehicle and press the telephone button on the steering wheel to start the pairing process. Then you need to use your phone to search for the vehicle. You will then be prompted to enter the PK number on the phone to finalize the pairing.

I hope this is helpful. Please accept and let me know if I can try to help you further.

Kind Regards,

BmwMasterTech

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you,
the handset and base are i think factory installed in the vehicle.
i will try to find the phone base unit in the place you have said, there does seem to be a number of pieces of equipment.
dvd staelitte gps, cd changer, above that a small aluminium box and below the satellite there is a further box .
i assume i can continue thr thread here if i need to get some further info from you.

thank you for your help on this

regards

stuart

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

The unit is the box that is most likely the farthest down. It is silver/aluminum looking. It might help to even unplug it and retry you phone as I have seen this module cause many issues. The worst case scenario is that the module has failed. It is not uncommon unfortunately. However, in a lot of cases it can be brought back by a hard reset,...by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in.

You can post back here at any time. I hope this helps.

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.