Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

A P1188/P1189 Fuel Control (Bank1, Sensor1) and Fuel Control (Bank2

What does a P1188/P1189 Fuel Control (Bank1, Sensor1) and Fuel Control (Bank2, Sensor1), and a P1250 mean?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

What symptoms is the car exhibiting?

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I received these codes while going through emissions. I drive a 2000 BMW 528i.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED WHATSOEVER UNTIL YOU PRESS THE ACCEPT BUTTON. NONE OF YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO ME UNTIL YOU PRESS ACCEPT

*

*

*

*

Thanks.

P1188 and P1189 are lean mixture faults.

p1250 is for low fuel level

Based on this, it sounds very much like you have an intake vacuum leak.

Unmetered air leaks allow excess air into the engine and cause the fuel/air mixture to go out of alignment and usually would also set the fault codes you have.

To check for vacuum leaks, visually inspect the intake area for any cracked hoses/pipes. If you can't see anything, you can try this trick: spray a can of carb cleaner around the intake with the engine idling. If the idle changes, this indicates that the cleaner is entering the engine and you have localized the area of the leak. You can then inspect further.

Most common source of air leaks is from the rubber intake tubes between the airbox, and the throttle.

Another common issue that causes this problem is a failed crankcase vent valve. This is located under the intake, in front of the throttle body. This valve regulates a vacuum on the crankcase, when they fail, a high vacuum is put on the crankcase - giving an unmeterd air leak. You can check for this by removing the oil cap with the engine running, if the engine stalls, or idle dips a lot, and there is a high vacuum holding the oil cap down, then this valve has failed.

If you are positive there are no vacuum leaks, then the next most likely culprit is a bad mass airflow sensor.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press ACCEPT so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept. None of the deposit you have paid will be transferred until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Steve, I know for certain that my valve cover gasket needs to be replaced could that also be a reason for the vacuum leak?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
It is possible. I would start with that since it needs to be done anyways, then clear the codes and see if they return. Please let me know if you require anything further. Please press accept if satisfied. Thanks. Steve

Edited by Steve on 8/31/2010 at 7:17 PM EST
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert