Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2003 330i: dealership..the general module and the front left door lock

I have a 2003 330i. I have a random door lock problem. The dealership service determined that I need to replace the general module and the front left door lock. They gave me a $1300 quote so I decided to fix it myself. The parts cost me $530 and the computer codig willbe an other $110.
My intention is to replace the general module first but I am not sure what will happen untill the module gets coded. Will my locks work? What effect will it have using the car without an uncoded general module?
I appriciate your time and advice.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer. General modules are a common failure. I suggest you have the gm repaired. Check out www.bmwgm5.com for info. You cannot use an uncoded gen module. Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press accept so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept. None of the deposit you have paid will be transferred until you press accept.

Cheers.

Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

As I stated I have already purchased a general module. My question was that if replacing the general module myself and not getting it coded for a couple days what problems will I experience with my car ?

What functions of the car will be effected and how? Will it be drivable?

Thanks

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I misread the question. If you don't code it you locks/sunroof/windows will not operate correctly. Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press accept so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept. None of the deposit you have paid will be transferred until you press accept.

Cheers.

Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
As a quick follow, you aren't going to hurt anything by installing the uncoded module, so you can always put it in and see what functionality you do get until you can get it coded. Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press accept so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept. None of the deposit you have paid will be transferred until you press accept.

Cheers.

Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: It seem like my question has not been read carefully. Consequetly my questions were not answered or answered witout any secific info. .
It seem like my question has not been read carefully. Consequetly my questions were not answered or answered witout any secific info.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, I am sorry I misread your question initially. The answer to your question that nothing bad will happen if you install an uncoded module, just that you will not have proper functionality from the windows/locks/sunroof etc as they are all controlled by the general module. This is a complete and accurate answer to your question. I hop you are satisfied and will press the accept button so that I am compensated for my time and effort. Thank you. Steve