Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Where is the fuel pump relay on a 2001 BMW 325i ?

where is the fuel pump relay on a 2001 BMW 325i ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hi, do you know if you have spark?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know if we have spark.

The fuel filter was clogged (after a 1400-mile trip, and possibly mixing wrong octane gas and letting the tank run below 1/4-tank).

The fuel filter was replaced but the fuel pump is still not making the right sound for moving the fuel.

Now we're checking to see if the fuel pump relay was not burned out. How would we check to see if we have spark?

Clearly, I'm no expert on cars whatsoever, but we're stuck in the woods of Oregon needing to get back to Southern California and doing whatever we can to fix this before having to leave the car here for repairs and drive down in a rental before coming back to retrieve it. :(

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
The wrong octane gas shouldn't do this. Does the fuel pump make any noise?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, the fuel pump does not make any noise.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we just switched the fuel pump relay out from under the dash board, and it still is not getting any fuel

I'm hoping this isn't the worst-case scenario that the fuel pump in the gas tank is not shot.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

I would try spraying some quick start into the intake while cranking just to be sure if you have spark or not. If the quick start catches, you do have spark. If it does not, you don't, and therefore it is likely that the crank sensor has failed.

If there is spark and you still can't get it to start with the new relay and the fuel pump isn't making any noise at all, it sounds like it is the fuel pump that has failed.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

The crank sensor is part 8 below, Part number 12141709616 - $116

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have replaced the fuel filter, changed relay, disconnected fuel lines from filter and can get no fuel to flow through lines, or get fuel pump to make any noise at all. I have knocked on fuel tank with rubber mallet in hopes that it might be electrical ( you know, the ole' hit with a hammer routine) with no response from pump. I have ruled out spark, because I can't fuel through the lines. Final question, fuel pump?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Yes. Sounds very much like it is the pump. Please let me know if you need anything else. Please accept if satisfied. Steve