bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech

Bmw 745li: towed..manually..The parking brake was release in the trunk

I had to have my bmw 745li towed and in order to do so, I had to manually release the parking brake and the transmission. The parking brake was release in the trunk of the car with a special tool from the toolkit. The transmission was released with a manual release on the left side of the driver's seat (near the driver's left ankle).

How do I reset both of these and how do I reset the yellow "parking" warning light on the dash?

Hi, to release the transmission lever there is a detent tab that needs to be pushed in to allow the lever to return to the normal position.
See image below.
For the parking brake, normally all that needs to be done is push the parking brake button on the dash 3 or 4 times, the system will automatically reset itself from there. Do this with the key on, engine off.

Here is a copy of the owners manual for your model car.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. A few follow-up questions...

If the transmission is functioning properly, isn't the lever already in "normal position"? I just don't want to fiddle with it if it is already working properly.

Regarding the parking brake, do I need to use the tool in the trunk to mechanically reverse the process of disengaging brake? Will pressing the PB botton 3 or 4 times reset the light?

The purpose of the lever is to take the vehicle out of park in the event of transmission failure, or a loss of electrical power. This trans is all electronic with no mechanical connection to a shift lever.

For the parking brake, you shouldn't have to use the tool to wind it back in. Just push the parking brake button a fre times and let the mechanism untion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried pushing the button as you recommended and the light is still on. Do you have any other recomendations?
Are you pressing the button with the ignition on, engine off?
Push once, wait a few seconds, push button again, wait another few seconds.
If this doesn't work, you may need to have a bmw shop read the fault codes from the car's computers. There is also a way to cycle the parking brake with the bmw scan tool.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, ignition on, engine off. I'll try it again and wait a few secons between each push.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That did not work. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.

Perhaps you can help me on another issue. All of my service interval lights (oil, brakes, etc.) are in yellow status (not red or green) and I can't reset them with the odometer reset (it says something like can't be reset, see dealer).

Is there a way to reset that on my own?

I would check the time and date setting in the idrive settings.
If the time and date is not correct then it can affect the service reset.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The time and date are fine. Is this a dealer issue also?d
Ok, if you have performed the reset correctly according to this link, and it still won't reset, you'll need to have a bmw tech run a fault survey to determine what is causing the problem.