Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1992 bmw 325i: water pump..head gasket..the radiator..exhaust

my son has a 1992 bmw 325i it was over heating with no heat inside the car so I changed the thermostat it now has heat in the car but still over heatsso I changed the water pump with the same results still overheats, but it takes at least 30 mins to an hour to overheat, it has no indications of a bad head gasket, no fluid in the oil and vise versa, no back pressure in the radiator, no oil leaks or anything around the head no steam out of the exhaust. took it to get the radiator flushed and they said they found a small pin hole leak which is cause it to overheat I never heard of this bit it is a BWM what do you think???

How is the coolant level?

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its full was just flushed and filled

are you sure it was properly bled and there is not an airlock somewhere?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pretty positive that there is no air in the system, but never heard of a pin hole leak causeing it to overheat

The general list of overheat cause is this:

1. A faulty thermostat.

2. A faulty waterpump.

3. A coolant leak or low coolant level.

4. An airlock in the system.

5. A faulty viscous coupling

6. Blocked or damaged fins on the radiator

7. A faulty headgasket (you def do not have this)

If you are positive you do not have any of the above, then you will want to repair the pinhole leak next as there is nothing else obvious or common to check - at this point it is the most / only likely culprit.

Let me know if you have further questions, please use the accept button if satisfied with my assistance as this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts.

Cheers,

Steve