Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2002 bmw: the abs light, parking brake light and the triangle light

Customer Question

I have a 2002 bmw 745 and it keeps reading that the i drive is inactive! the abs light, parking brake light and the triangle light that i dont know what it means is on. I also have a chack engine light. The problem started after the dealer put in a new fuel pump! at first it went away but has come back and stayed on! any help would be great!

Also the power steering is stiff!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, did this all start at ones? Or over time?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all at once
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me a moment to draft a full reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

It sounds like you have a few different things going on. I think they are coincidental, and not due to the new fuel pump.

The idrive sounds like a software issue. The one thing you can try to do to reset this is unhook the negative battey terminal for one hour (do this will the keys out, car off, doors open and windows down). This reset procedure can often clear out random issues like what you have with the idrive.

For the brake and triangle light, this indicates that your ABS and traction systems are not working at the moment. This is normally caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor but in a worst case scenario could also be a failed abs/traction module. The ABS system is what sends the speed info to your speedo, so that is why the speedo is not working.

The power steering indicates that your fluid might be low, or that the pump is on its last legs.

For the check engine light, you will need to have the codes read by a BMW compatible scan tool to determine what the cause of this light is. There are well over 100 reasons it could come on, so it is not productive to speculate.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I am happy to answer follow ups. Please press accept if satisfied so I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
steve i would normally agree but the problem is when one of the lights go off then all of them do and everything is working fine! the battery has been unhhoked and no change was done. I do have a set of aftermarket wheels on the car! they came on it so i dont have the original set. Again when the lights go off everything is working making me think this is one problem that needs to be addressed!
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

In that case, it could be a problem with your alternator. When alternators start to over or under charge, the fluctuating voltages can cause symptoms like what you are experiencing. I suggest you have the alternator checked.

The other thing to check is the battery connections. Aside from that, there is nothing of high probability that would cause what you are experiencing.

Let me know if you have further questions. Please use the accept button if satisfied.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is an aftermarket battery from what i can tell! would that have something to do with it! there is a menu to reset the computer through the dash board. when you hold down the trip button a menu pops up. the last heading is reset reload....would this help me?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

BMW does not make batteries, so any battery would have to be "aftermarket"

This is not your problem.

Now, the trip reload button will not help you, that is totally unrellated to what you are experiencing.

I suspect the atlernator based on what you have told me.

Let me know if you have further questions. Please press ACCEPT if satisfied with my assistance.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i will try resetting system again! where can i get the alternator checked?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Any shop should be able to do this for you. You might be well served to have it done at a BMW dealer though, the test equipment at BMW is able to read the car's information to a much more granular level than the equipment at independent shops, so they are often able to figure out odd problems a lot easier than other shops.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Please press the ACCEPT button if satisfied so that I am compensated for my time and effort.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you think the aftermarket wheels could trigger something! the are 22 inch wheels?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
No. There is absolutely no way wheels could cause this. Let me know if you need anything further. Please press accept if satisfied. Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will follow up shortly!
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good. Please do not forget to press the accept button as this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. You are still able to respond once you have pressed accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i will do that!
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

sorry, you're going to do what?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i tried unhooking the battery and still nothing......how do i clear the computer or do the updates!

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do at home to fix your issue.

You need to a) have the alternator checked and b) have the car put on a BMW test machine at the dealer so that they can determine what is going on with your idrive. There is no way to troubleshoot the idrive or update it without dealer software.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Please press ACCEPT if satisfied so that I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unfortunetly im not paying $40 to be told to take it to the dealer....been to the dealer and thats why im on hear! when i follow up on tuesday i will accept answer after i hear that i have an accurate diagnosis! thanks!
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Again, I am sorry, but this is not a problem that you can solve without BMW dealer equipment. I cannot provide any further instructions for you to help you determine the issue. Expensive, special equipment is required in cases like this.

I have taken the time to explain as much about what might be going on with your car to you as possible, and answered every one of your questions. It is impossible to say for sure what is going on without a BMW test machine diagnosis.

I have done my best to assist/explain and I hope you will accept my answer so that receive credit for my time and effort.

Thank you,

Steve