Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 1998 528i that has a constant airbag light on (passenger

I have a 1998 528i that has a constant airbag light on (passenger side). I can't get it past MA inspection because of safety reasons. My local mechanic says that his computer can't diagnose it enough (code 18). The dealer wants $119/hr just to diagnose the problem, let alone parts and labor. FYI, in 2006, I had the whole seat sensor unit replaced and after 6 months the light went on. The dealer wouldn't help me with repairs. The seat is hardly used. Please help...
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately you are going to have to get a dealer diagnosis in order to get to the bottom of this. The scan tools used by independant mechanics (as you are experiencing) are not sophisticated enough.

This could very well be the seat sensor again, but it could be another component in the passenger restraint system that has failed.

$119 is a fair price for a dealer diagnosis. Once the failed part has been identified, you will have to pay BMW msrp for the replacement, as well as the dealer's labor rate to have it installed. This is unfortunately part of the cost of owning a BMW.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I am happy to answer follow ups. Please press accept if satisfied so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve L on 5/26/2010 at 8:13 PM EST