jon-t, BMW Technician
Experience:  City & Guilds NVQ Level II & III in Vehicle, Mechanical & Electronic Systems BMW Technician Status

2002 325I: BMW..automatic..Second being faulty, now it comes

I have a 06/2002 325I E46 BMW automatic that has had the transmission computer replaced with a Second hand unit due to it being faulty, now it comes up with a code 38 EGS Symptom GLUE do you have a code discription for this code, or what causes this code to set.

Hi and welcome to Just Answers

The fault code (38) that you are getting is due to the second hand gearbox ecu needs to be programmed to your car so it correctly communicates via the bus network with the engine ecu (DME) and the body ecu (IKE)

If this is not done then the car suffers from false faults, the ecu programming needs to be carried out at your local BMW dealership via there DIS/GT1 diagnostic machine.

This will take approx 30 mins to carry out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have vehicle booked into dealer for reflash on Friday, will advise out come.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Had the EGS aligned with the other computers and the code has gone, I was not able to drive this vehicle before as the vehicle was in a fail safe codition now we have a 3-2 downshift clunk on coast down, I feel it might now have a valve body problem.