bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech
19948718

2003 530i: I unhook battery to reset computer

I unhook battery to reset computer and accidentally closed the trunk. The key will not open trunk. is there a way to open the trunk from inside the car. This is a 2003 530I
Hi, The mechanical key is not working when turned either way in the trunk lock cylinder?
If the battery is still disconnected, you'll need to power up the system with jumper cables using the jump start point under the hood.

If you open the hood there should be a positive terminal under a plastic cover on the rear center of the engine, it should have a plus sign on it.
Put your positive (red) cable there.
Then the negative on a metal part of the engine, or chassis. There should be a negative bare metal terminal on one of the strut towers.

Once the system is powered up, then push the trunk button near the hood release. Or the button may be in front of the shifter in the center console. Should look like picture below.

graphic

graphic