BMW expert
BMW expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner

hi, i have a 1997 bmw 318i...i have had oil leak before in

Customer Question

hi, i have a 1997 bmw 318i...i have had oil leak before in the past, the gasket, pan, front something or another...i just arrived home and there is a massive amt. of oil fllud leaked from under the car, more than i have experience...i had the heat on as appears to be closer to the left side where i see the leakage...i recently had a new lock cylinder installed on the car as well...i don't know where it could be you think the plug came out? i have cardboard boxes under the car now to absorb...its drip dropping alot now, but it appeared to be quite abit initially all of a sudden...the gauge on the car did not exhibit the car over heating or anthing...what do you think.
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMW expert replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Very often this can be caused by a faulty oil pressure sending unit, is it the engine oil or transmission fluid that is leaking? Have you determined exactly which fluid it is?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i've touched it ...and its brown and slick like new oil...had a oil change not long ago and a new front seal put on as well...transmission is usually reddish right. plus you can't get into the tranny thing, it 's forever its more so on the left side down by the tire rods ....

If its light brown and feels like engine oil, take a quick look at the oil filter be sure there's not some simple leak coming from there.

The transmission fluid may be read sometimes gets brownish when it starts to get dirty

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if the transmission unit is a sealed unit , what are supposed to do then? also, it started leaking more than a simple leak unless you mean it has something to do with the oil filter is faulty even though it is new. when i stopped to back out and turn into my spot that'ts when i seen the trail of fluid. first there was a small puddle then streaks than once parked, it dripped quite a bit in the one spot...had to put cardboard boxes under to catch..may not have any fluild left in car...

Sometimes the new oil filter will not seal properly, and me a little extra attension.

With a leaking as bad as you describe I would not drive it anywhere. If you'd like slide under the car and take a photograph of where the leak is coming from and I can give you some ideas on how to fix it but driving the car make damage the engine beyond repair. If you don't think you can fix this yourself then have it towed to a qualified repair shop. But do not drive it