Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

My bmw 650i key will not stay in ignition, it keeps poping out

Customer Question

my bmw 650i key will not stay in ignition, it keeps poping out
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Does this happen with both keys or just one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
both, the car will start run & drive but i am worried because the key will not stay in ignition will this hurt the car to drive it like that?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Give me about 3min to draft a full reply.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

This is actually a fairly common problem. It will not hurt your car to drive like this, don't worry.

If you look at your key you'll see it has 2 small indentations on it's sides. When you insert the key into the slot these fit into two small plastic catches inside the key hole that retain the key and prevent it from coming out. This problem is caused because the plastic retaining tabs inside the slot become damaged preventing them from working as they should. It doesn't take much damage to stop them working properly. The key slot usually has to be replaced to rectify the problem which is quite a simple repair and your dealer will likely have the part in stock because as I said it's quite a common problem.

BMW has a service bulletin out for this because it is so common. This should be covered by your warranty if you are still in your warranty period.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I hope that helps. If so, please press the green ACCEPT button below so that I am paid for my time and effort. I will continue to answer any follow up questions should they arise. I do not receive any credit for my work until you press accept.

Thanks and good luck.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

FYI, here is a copy of the bulletin:

SI B 61 02 06
General Electrical Systems
February 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 02 06 dated February 2006.

NEW designates changes to this revision

Key Falls Out of, or Gets Stuck in Key Holder

E90 (3 Series)

NEW E60/E61 (5 Series)

NEW E63/E64 (6 Series)

The customer complains that the key is not adequately retained in the key holder and sometimes falls out. There are also situations where the key gets stuck in the key holder and cannot easily be removed.

Faulty key holder.

Replace the key holder with a part with an improved mechanism for gripping the key. Improved parts were introduced in series production September 2005.

[S6106U02.JPG]The date code on the part is in day/year format. Improved parts have date code 248/05 or later. NEW Illustration shows E90 key holder
Part Number
Refer to EPC
Key holder