Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 X5 4.4L. The inactive suspension, self leveling, has a problem.

2001 X5 4.4L. The inactive suspension, self leveling, has a problem. The rear of the vehicle is now higher off the ground and it rides like a truck. Also the steering wheel does not retract when the vehicle is shut off. What is the problem? Could it be a blown fuse? If so where is the fuse box for my vehicle?

Hi there,

Are there any error lights showing up on the dash?

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES.
The active suspension light?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES
Ok give me a few min to draft a response please.

Hi again,

The first thing I would do is check your fuses. The steering column issue is probably a fuse. If not, check the wiring that goes to the drivers seat, if this becomes disconnected, the steering column stops moving. There are two fuseboxes on your X5, one behind a panel in the trunk, one behind the glove box. There will be a little diagram telling you which fuse is for what.

For the suspension issue, the light on the dash indicates that your car is sensing a fault of some kind with the system. It is impossible to say exactly what has gone wrong without having the fault memory read using a BMW compatible scan tool. To do this, you will have to go to your dealer or a well equipped BMW specialist to have this properly diagnosed. It could be a problem with the control unit, the pump/compressor, a sensor, etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

I hope that helps. If so, please press the green ACCEPT button below so that I am paid for my time and effort. I will continue to answer any follow up questions should they arise. I do not receive any credit for my work until you press accept.

Thanks and good luck.

Steve