Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

my front windows on my convertable e36 have stopped working

my front windows on my convertable e36 have stopped working the driver door has dropped to allow clearence to lift back up when you shut it but it will go up or down and niether will the passenger front window, all the fuse's look good, does anyone have an answer to this problem
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
To be clear, do the windows or the drop function work at all? Thanks. Steve

Edited by Steve L on 2/24/2010 at 9:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no the driver door must have dropped the normal 10 mm when i openned the door but it never lifted its self back up when i shut the door, itried to shut it using the switch but it wouldn't do it then i noticed the front passenger side has also stopped working and will not go up or down but the back windows still work perfectly well off the switches , the car is a convertable and i've never had a problem with the windows before
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

This could be a couple of things.

It could be a wiring problem that is isolated to the front windows only (would require further diagnosis by a competent automotive electrician), or it could be an issue with your general module (the module that controls most of the cars body functions).

There are several relays inside the general module that go bad and cause the windows or central locking to stop working.

The cheapest way to test if this is indeed your problem is to swap in a unit from a similar car. If you don't have access to a similar car, a dealer should be able to confirm the problem by hooking the car up to a BMW tester and interrogating the module.

If you would like to work on this yourself (ie swap in a new unit), you can locate the general module behind the glove box in your car. It is a white rectangle as in the picture below.

I hope that helps. If you are satisfied with my help, please click the green ACCEPT button below so that I am paid for my time and effort. I will continue to answer follow up questions should any arise. I do not receive anything until you press ACCEPT.

Thanks and good luck with the 323,

Edited by Steve L on 2/24/2010 at 9:34 PM EST