Anthony
Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Bmw x3: front master window control and mirror control..power going

Bmw x3 front master window control and mirror control stopped working as if it has no power going to it. The window was at first stuck about a quarter open, then I used the key in door to close completely. Then I got it to open with the key unfortunately now it is all the way open. shawn
Category: BMW
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes using only the negative cable. If it still wont work right, it has to see BMW.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying leave the negative cable attached to the battery or the positive? And try while it is disconnected or after reconnecting 5 minutes later than try. Sorry I am a slow German. Please clarify. Thanks
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
What I'm saying is leave the negative battery cable unhooked for 5 minutes. Then reconnect it and try the windows. That will force a hard reset of the computers that run the windows. In a lot of cases it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did not work. any other suggestions?
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
How long was the battery unhooked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Five minutes, I set a timer. It had worked fine with no problems the day before. I've read others with same problems have heard a loud noise or grinding before it stopped working. It did none of that. It's like there is no power to the whole unit.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
When you got it to work with the key, was it normal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it rolled up completely and then rolled down completely. Now it will do neither. Each window will operate from its individual door switch. But none of the services on the drivers side master switch will operate. Not the mirrors or the child proof button or the windows.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so the drivers window control panel will not operate anything, right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that panel is actually a control module that signals other parts. The buttons/switches are like keys on a computer keyboard. That part is bad and not the window motor. You should however have BMW handle it so it can be double checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Your very welcome. If your happy with my help please don't forget to accept my answer.

Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.