Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

745Li: headlight malfunction..high beams only work..indicator light

Customer Question

I have an 02 745Li and i get a left and right headlight malfunction neither one works and also the high beams only work when you pull them toward you as if to flash them. When you push them forward the indicator light on the dash comes on but not the lights.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi there.

Sounds like you either have a blown fuse or a light module problem. Have a look in your fuse box at the diagram that shows what each fuse is for. Carefully remove and check each fuse that has anything to do with the cars lighting system. The fuse box should be inside your glove compartment.

If there is no blown fuse, then you unfortunately will have to take your car to the dealer to have the light module diagnosed on the BMW tester.It might simply need to be reprogrammed, or it might need to be replaced. There is no way to know without having the car hooked up to the tester though.

I hope that helps. If so, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I receive payment for my time and effort. I will continue to answer follow up questions should they arise.

Thanks and good luck with the 7,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So is it one control module that controls all the lights?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the LCM (light control module).

Your 7 Series is very complex, there is a module to control just about everything!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you think that may be what the problem is? also are the angel eye and parking light bulbs the same what i mean by that is its one bulb for both lights?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

The parking lamp and the halo bulb for your angel eyes are the same bulb, yes.

Your problem could be with the fuse, or the LCM, correct.