AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST

My 2000 740il brake lights stay on constant

my 2000 740il brake lights stay on constant
Category: BMW
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

1. At the brake light switch, test battery voltage input at pin 1, Violet/Yellow with the ignition on from fuse 44.

2. Pin 2, Brown/Black should be a ground.

3. Pin 4, Blue/Red should have at least 5 V from the lamp control module with the switch disconnected and ignition on. Plugged in, the voltage should switch on and off as the brake pedal is actuated and released.

Potential Causes:
Brake Light Switch
Lighting Control Module
Wiring

Tips: check for codes in the computer as well as the ABS/Traction Control module
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The brake light switch is new. With it disconected the brake lights are still on indicating a short somewhere.possibly control unit for lights? where is that located?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Which control unit? The engine control unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe im looking for the light control unit which controls the exterior lights

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

There is a Recall for this problem. Here it is.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dealership said this vehicle does not qualify and has no recalls for the brake switch issue. Is there, and where is the location of the light control unit?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Thats interesting. Here is the Letter that is sent out to the BMW owners.

March 2000

Recall Campaign No. 00V-048, Brake Lamp Switch

Dear BMW Owner/Lessee:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

BMW AG has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain model year 2000 BMW 323i, 328i, 528i, 528iT, 540i, 540iT, M5, 740i, 740iL, and 750iL vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner or lessee of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT

The brake lamps of your vehicle are controlled by a switch activated by movement of the brake pedal. This switch could fail internally, causing it to remain either in the "brake lamps off" position or in the "brake lamps on" position. If this happens, the brake lamps either will not operate or will be continuously illuminated, regardless of brake pedal position.

DESCRIPTION OF INSPECTION / REPAIR

The repair will consist of inspecting and, if necessary, replacing the existing brake lamp switch with an improved switch.

This repair will require approximately one hour and will be performed free of charge by your Authorized BMW center. Additional time may be required depending on the BMW center's scheduling and processing.

PRECAUTIONS

1. CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED BMW CENTER IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPAIR PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

2. Before the repair, brake lamp operation should be checked with the vehicle stationary by turning the key to position 2 ("ignition" or "on") and depressing the brake pedal. An observer facing the rear of the vehicle can determine if the brake lamps are working properly. If the brake lamps are inoperative or continuously lit, the vehicle should not be driven. Arrangements should be made for pickup and repair.

3. If the inoperative or continuously-lit brake lamps are ignored and the vehicle is driven, a crash involving another vehicle (or vehicles) could occur without prior warning, depending on environmental and traffic conditions.

4. If you are not the sole driver of your car, please advise all other drivers of these necessary precautions.

OTHER INFORMATION

If the vehicle to which this notice applies has been leased and you are the lessor, you MUST send a copy of this notice to the lessee.

If you no longer own this vehicle, we would appreciate your furnishing us with the name and address of the new owner, using the enclosed postage-paid card.

Should you have any questions about this campaign, please contact your Authorized BMW center.

We appreciate your confidence in our product, and we wish to do everything we can to retain your confidence. Should you need additional assistance, you may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

If the BMW center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393 (Washington, DC area residents may call(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. The brake lamps in these vehicles are controlled by a switch activated by the movement of the brake pedal. This switch could fail internally, causing it to remain either in the "brake lamps off" position or in the "brake lamps on" position. If this happens, the brake lamps either will not operate or will be continuously illuminated, regardless of brake pedal position.

Dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the existing brake lamp switch with an improved switch.

Owner notification began May 15, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Here is another Recall on your brake light switch.

Bulletin
63 02 00

Lights

March 2000

SUBJECT
Recall Campaign 00V-048 - Brake Lamp Switch Replacement

MODEL
E38 (7 Series) produced 9/99 to 10/99
E39 (5 Series) produced 9/99 to 10/99
E46 (3 Series) produced 9/99 to 10/99

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS AND PRIOR TO CUSTOMER DELIVERY.

SITUATION
The brake lamps of the affected vehicle are controlled by a switch activated by the movement of the brake pedal. This switch could tail internally, causing it to remain in the "brake lamps off" position or in the "brake lamps on position, If this happens, the brake lamps either will not operate or will be continuously illuminated, regardless of brake pedal position.

AFFECTED VEHICLE
This recall involves E38 E39 and E46 vehicles which were produced from September 1999 to October 1999.

In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this recall, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of the DCS (Dealer Communication System). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

The Chassis Number Ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor.

CORRECTION
Check brake light switch and replace if necessary

PROCEDURE

1. Remove the lower footwell trim to expose the brake light switch

graphic

2. Check whether the brake light switch is marked with a white bar (1) at the connector end (2)

If the brake light switch is marked with a white bar (1), reinstall the lower footwell trim. No further actions are necessary.

If the brake light switch is not marked with a white bar on the connector side, continue with step 3.

3. Remove and replace the brake light switch (Refer to Repair Instruction 61 31 310)

4. Reinstall the lower footwell trim

PARTS INFORMATION

LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

This Recall Campaign has been assigned code number 269. After the vehicle has been checked, and corrected if necessary, obtain a label (SD 92-130) and:

a. emboss your BMW dealer warranty number in the middle of the label (1);

b. punch out code number 269 printed on the label and,

c. affix the label to the B pillar as shown.

If the vehicle already has a label from a previous Service Action/Recall Campaign, affix the new label next to the old one. Do not affix one label on top of another one because a number from an underlying label could appear in the punched-out hole of the new label.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Reimbursement for this Recall Campaign will be provided through Campaign Entry.

Defect Code 00 61 42 01 00

* * FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, ON TIME, EVERY TIME * *
For administrative convenience and to reduce costs this bulletin may contain repair procedures for authorized BMW car centers and/or authorized BMW 5Av centers. All references to 5Avs and/or the X5 are ONLY intended for authorized BMW SAV centers. Furthermore, ONLY BMW SAV centers are authorized to perform repair and service work on SAVs.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

THere are Two recalls on this problem. Here they both are. The Recall numbers are as follows.

630200 03/01/2000 Recall - Brake Lamp Switch Replacement

NHTSA00V048000 02/15/2000 Recall 00V048000: Brake Lamp Switch Defect

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know of that recall but 2 dealers denied that this vehicle has that issue. If you can let me know where the control unit which controls the exterior lights then I can see if it has shorted out there.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

SUre... here are two options.

graphic

graphic

AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST