Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2005 X3 3.0i: ) vibration between 30MPH..throttle..gas pedal

Just had the 2005 X3 3.0i serviced
It now has a driveline (seeming) vibration between 30MPH and 45MPH. Only ON throttle, not during coast. Most noticeable thru gas pedal (I know its drive by wire) as the floor vibrates now.
It did NOT have such a problem before service.
66000 miles
They replaced front and rear brake pads and front rotors during service.

Any ideas?

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

I'm not sure if its related to the service unless someone at the dealership pushed the vehicle too hard during a test drive. Usually vibration like you describe comes from the drive shaft u-joints or the drive shaft center bearing. I would have both items inspected. They are usually responsible for a vibration while on the gas.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Just to clarify...

Your opinion would be that the onset of the vibration was a coincidence and not related to the dealer service?

I have seen posts on some of the forums suggesting an inner CV joint in the front drive axles... but... the coincidental timing is annoying.

Dealer says "they all do that" referring to the vibration.

John Sterling at BMW of Sarasota is the service manager who I recently spoke with.

Ive seen and repaired the inner CVs but they usually vibrate all the time. As for the coincidence its hard to tell but doing brake pads and changing oil does not usually cause drive line shake even if it was done wrong. I would have the rear driveshaft inspected as they usually cause the shake on the floor under power. Don't stand for all BMW's which are a high line vehicle shake when right.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We got a final repair from the dealership...

No defects noted in the driveshaft or driveshaft bearings/couplers.

They finally put the driveline computer into brand-new vehicle "learn" mode again... and the vibration went away.

I assumed that was tried the first time. I hope they didn't charge you to do that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No charge...

But I had to INSIST that they do it at all.

It was at my suggestion that they try the reset. They whined about doing it.

Thanks for everything!

Im glad its fixed. I was in no way trying to steer you wrong. The software does control the amount of power that goes to the front and rear wheels so it could have been or was adding too much or too little bias between the two.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh No... please don't misunderstand!

I wanted to let you know the final resolution. I had asked them at first about the computer and they rejected it out of hand (too much effort?).

I was and am extremely happy with your help (your comment about not accepting the "they all do that" answer was pivotal in getting the dealership to do the right thing). I'm really glad to have found this service, and appreciate your help!!!Wink

Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback and again I'm glad your vehicle is working properly. Please come back anytime you need assistance.