Lee
Lee, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW STEP Custom Training, Cert. BMW Diag. Tech, ASE Master

740iL: there is a relay that disconnects the starter upon ignition

Customer Question

740iL - 1998

I just replaced starter.. Now the starter continues to spin excessively before starting. I was told that there is a relay that disconnects the starter upon ignition. Where is the relay located and what is it called?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Lee replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I'm not sure if I understand exactly what is happening.

Does the engine actually turn over when cranking or is it just the starter spinning by itself?

Does the engine start up and you can hear the starter spinning with the engine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine turns and starts igniting; but the starter continues turning for several seconds then stops, allowing the engine to run freely. The shop that replaced the starter told me that there was a delay in the starter disconnect, and it may be a relay problem...Of course, I would have to return to the shop and pay diagnostic and replace fees. I CAN CHANGE A RELAY!
Expert:  Lee replied 4 years ago.
- So the engine has excessive cranking before starting up?
If this is the case it may not be due to the starter itself. It sounds like a fuel or spark problem with the engine.

If after the engine starts up and you can hear the starter still spinning with the engine this may be a mechanical problem with the starter to flywheel clearance or the starter gear is binding.

If It was a fault with their installation of the starter then the shop should fix the problem with no cost to you.

The starter relay is located in the right corner in the Electronics box in the engine compartment. I assume your production date is before 9/98 and this is a left hand drive vehicle?

graphic
Lee, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW STEP Custom Training, Cert. BMW Diag. Tech, ASE Master
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You....I will replace the starter relay with minimum cost before returning to the shop; if the problem persist.

Expert:  Lee replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me know if you need anymore help. Just reply to this question. Thank you,
Lee