Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

having trouble passing Georgia emissions testing. Code that

having trouble passing Georgia emissions testing. Code that fails reads as follows: MIL CMD= Fail DTC4= P1188 Manufacturer specific code

What does this mean and what are the likely repairs?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

The description from BMW for this code is Fuel Trim (Bank 2), O2 Control Limit Fault. The Engine Controller for the Lambda was too long beyond a minimum or a maximum limit in memory. Usually due to a lean condition. Check for signs of a vacuum leak or an exhaust air leak. Check the crankcase breather valve for proper operation or replace. If everything looks good up to this point you can swap all of the injectors from one bank to the other to see if code switches banks if so you have a injector problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Potential Causes:Leaking AIR
Leaking Crankcase Breather
Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Fuel Injectors

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should have added that when i punch the in dash diagnostic "check" button sometimes i get FI (i assume fuel injection) and sometimes okay. It also exhibits a rough idle, especially when cold (again, sounds like a lean condition to me) but then the idle will settle in and be okay for a while. this car was originally a "rust belt" car for whatever that is worth.

Where would I find the crankcase breather? i should check that first since it is likly the easiest and least exspensive repair. I have looked around the intake system checking for vacum leaks but didin't see anything unusual. My repair shop is talking 700-900 to fix this and that seems awfully high. What do you think?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You need to get this part from the dealership. 700-900 could be high or fair depending on what the problem is. I would replace the crankcase breather yourself but if that doesnt fix the problem and you cant find any vacuum leaks you would want to bring it to a shop so they can monitor everthing while doing tests to see what the problem is. Its hard to say what a fair price for the repair is since we dont know what the actual repair will be. But once they find the problem and tell you what needs to be replaced you can reply to this answer at anytime and I can tell you if its a fair price. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database