Lee, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW STEP Custom Training, Cert. BMW Diag. Tech, ASE Master

2006 BMW X5 4.4i. The 4x4 warning light is steady on.

2006 BMW X5 4.4i. The 4x4 warning light is steady on. what does this mean? i am not sure the 4x4 is working either. i bought the vehicle used and am getting used to the DSC, so not sure if it is just a matter of getting used to the DSC or the 4x4 is not working as a result of the steady on warning light.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Lee replied 6 years ago.
The light you are talking about is due to a fault in your DSC (traction control) or 4x4 system. These two systems are dependent on one another so a fault in one will cause a fault in the other.

Is there any other warning lights illuminated like ABS or BRAKE warning lights?

When this warning light is on then dsc is deactivated.

There is a DSC button on the center console below the heater/AC module that allows you to manualy turn the system off as well.

If the light always remains on regardless of pressing the button then you will have to get the fault memory read out of your transfer case/abs modules. There are just to many faults it could be to know exactly what the problem is.

Once you can give me some fault numbers I can tell you what the most likely problem is.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There are no other warning lights on. How do i get the fault numbers you are looking for? thanks

Expert:  Lee replied 6 years ago.
You will have to use either a personal scan tool that is able to communicate with all of the vehicle control modules, or go to an independent shop / dealer to have the fault memory read out of the transfer case / ABS control modules.

If you decide to get your own scantool, just make sure it is not one that is only able to communicate with the engine control unit (DME). This will not give you the faults for your warning light.

Some of the personal scan tools that should read all the modules are carsoft 6.5 and Auto Enginuity. I have not personally used these so I cant really comment on how good they are.