Lee, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW STEP Custom Training, Cert. BMW Diag. Tech, ASE Master

2006 330i: headlight..I get it changed at BMW? they..charging

Customer Question

Is it easy to change a BMW 2006 330i headlight ignitor or should I get it changed at BMW? they are charging almost $300 labor and $250 in parts
Category: BMW
Expert:  Lee replied 6 years ago.

Can I please have the last 7 digits of your VIN number to narrow down your vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Lee replied 6 years ago.

If you need to replace just the igniter then you should be able to do it yourself pretty easily. Did you have the problem diagnosed as just needing the ignitor? It is common for the xenon headlight control modules to fail as well.

Basically you will need jack up the left or right front of the vehicle depending on which side you need to replace and then remove the tire. There should be an access cover on the wheel well liner to the back of the headlight. (If there is no cover then you will need to unfasten and pull down the inner wheel well liner at the front to access the back of the headlight.) From there you can remove the back headlight cover and access the igniter/bulb assembly for replacement.

There are other options to buying a new ignitor/bulb from the dealer. Ebay has used igniter assemblies available for around $50.00. Just search for "E90 HID" They say the parts are fully tested but they are sold as-is.

I can give you instructions if you tell me which side you need to replace.