Anthony
Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

1996 bmw 328i: convertible..radio says code wait ...what do I

Customer Question

1996 bmw 328i convertible. radio says "code wait" ...what do I need to do?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Do you have the right radio code?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello. No. I have nothing. This car was reposessed by the lender and they have no clue and of course, the young lady who owned the car has no interest in assisting us.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Ok, BMW has to get involved to a certain extent. If you remove the radio and bring it to the parts counter, they usually give out the code. You dont have to goto the service dept for this. Would you like the procedure to get the radio sa a code can be entered and the procedure to remove it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure! Thank you!
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Ok, first hook up a small battery charger. Next leave the key on for an hour or more until the word "wait" goes away and the word "code" appears. Next power down the vehicle and remove tha radio. Take the radio to BMW Parts Counter. They can look up the code for you. Install the radio and put the code in you were given. Done. If the radio wont take the code than it may have to be sent out to a radio shop. Most cases it takes the code. See below for all procedures. Im sending all the radio procedures for your year so some may not be for your vehicle, just go through them.

CLICK HERE FOR PROCEDURES

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are the unlocking hooks universal or special? The pictures do not look like any removal hooks I have from other installs.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
The hooks are BMW specific. You can get them for like $12 at BMW.
Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome. Thank you Anthony!!
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome and thank you also. If for some reason because of how old it is BMW cant get you a working code. Let me know and I can get you to a place that can fix the radio.