bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech

what is the problem with code po340 , is it the sensor or out

what is the problem with code po340 , is it the sensor or out of timing? please help , thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  bimmaster replied 6 years ago.

P0340 is the inlet cam sensor fault code. This may only be an intermitant fault so checking the resistance could come up ok. This is a very common fault on this engine and the cam sensors have since been modified from original prodution. Replacing the inlet cam sensor is the solution 99% of the time.
If the cam timing was set with the special tools. It should be the cam sensor is bad.  
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I worked on the car because , it was burning oil, I removed the cylinder head, sent it over to the machine shop, and after installation, I had that problem: And Iam not sure is my timing is out, I do not think it is the sensor , because before it was not showing (check engine light;;;;;; now the code 340 is showing, Please help , Please if you have any pictures that will help me please sent them , thank you.
Expert:  bimmaster replied 6 years ago.
Hi if the fault wasn't present before it's likely a timing issue, how was the timing set?
There is a set of special tools for this purpose. It can't really be done without the special tools. There is a set of cam blocks which lock the cams into position and a crank pin that holds it at top dead center.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hold the cams with the special tool block , and i set the top center on the crank pulley ,and after i set the cam on the arrow on the exaust ; after i remove the blocks from the cam , i turn the motor 360 decrees to make sure the timming is correct. and i looked up the position again to verify the timming is correct and the cams are off. I don't know what to do , and i don't know what Am I doing wrong. Please help!