AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST
279429

hi there i have 96 bmw m3 e36 318i it starts but stops start

Customer Question

hi there i have 96 bmw m3 e36 318i it starts but stops start away . It can once i have taken out a o ring.
i have put new leads an coils on . change fuel lines spark plugs and put new fuel regurlater on .
still it floods its self when starts and dies again.
Would you have any clue to what may be the promblem .
thank you ragan
Category: BMW
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Hello there!

Check the E-box for signs that it has had water in it. The E-box contains the Motronic control unit and the transmission control unit, if applicable. It is accessible from the right rear of the engine compartment by removing the trim panel on the firewall behind the tray where the diagnostic connector is attached. The Motronic control unit sits on the floor of the compartment, which can get water in it during a heavy rainstorm or when running the car through a car wash. If the Motronic control unit shows signs of having become wet, such as rust or corrosion on the case or connector, it must be replaced. There is an update from BMW for the drains on the air intake plenum for the climate control to help prevent this problem. A related document, TSB 41 03 93, is available. NOTE: Vehicles produced after 6/94 have an extra drain added to the air intake plenum, as shown in the factory TSB 41 03 93. Even with the update to improve drainage, it is possible for the drains to be plugged with debris, allowing the Motronic control unit to get wet under the above conditions, so this should be considered as a possibility for all E36 3- series vehicles.

ALso, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. It may be bad causing your condition. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

The position of the IAC pintle affects engine start up and the idle characteristics of the vehicle. If the IAC pintle is open fully, too much air will be allowed into the manifold. This results in high idle speed, along with possible hard starting and a lean air/fuel ratio. If the IAC pintle is stuck closed, too little air will be allowed in the manifold. This results in a low idle speed, along with possible hard starting and a rich air/fuel ratio. If the IAC pintle is stuck part way open, the idle may be high or low and will not respond to changes in engine load.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection. Refer to Diagrams.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

Likely Causes

Idle Speed Control (ISC) Motor -
A malfunctioning ISC motor can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify that the idle speed control systems are working correctly.

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) -
A malfunctioning TPS can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify that the TPS is operating properly and that the calibration is correct.

Engine Vacuum -
Incorrect engine vacuum can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Test the vacuum systems and the engine for vacuum leaks.

Fuel Pressure -
Incorrect fuel pressure can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify the fuel system pressure is correct.

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor -
A malfunctioning MAF sensor can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify the MAF sensor calibration is correct.

Camshaft Position Sensor -
A malfunctioning CMP can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify a proper signal is produced by the CMP.

Throttle Body -
A malfunctioning throttle body can cause the engine to stall when shifted into drive or reverse. Verify that the throttle body bore is clean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello just answer
. yes i have done all those things . and still the same out come.
i will go over it once again and see if i have missed something.
If you can think of anything else i would be greatful . its got me stumped.
Thanks for your time. Customer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

ALso, be sure that fuel pressure is up to par and is not leaking down when the engine is off. If you need specifications, just let me know!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello just answer.
i still are not having any luck ive been over the car once again .
Yet still no action .
It very strange.
I have replaced o rings .
Done everything i can thick of.
Thanks for help anyway. Customer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Maybe you have a security issue? Are there any security lights on or flashing on the dash?

Maybe try a new key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello just answer.
Ithink it might be a vacume leak where the manafoild joins the block. Im just checking that out now.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

YEs... this is very possible!

It will usually make a load hissing sound as you start the engine. Even if the engine dies because of the vacuum leak, you should still be able to hear it as the engine dies.

Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still no luck with bmw . no lights are flashing on the dash board. and have tryed everything . even changed the mass air flow censor . and still no go.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
DOes it continue to run with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it floods and stops but if i take out the flue plump fuze it will run untill the flue runs out and stops
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Well, either the fuel is entering the engine through the fuel injectors.... either controlled or not controlled or maybe the fuel pressure regulator. Check fuel pressure and see if the fuel pressure bleeds down at all key on engine off. If not, it is going to be a signal to the computer that is bad causing the injectors to allow for too much fuel into the engine