bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech
19948718

How to replace a alternator bracket mount gasket on 2004 545I,

How to replace a alternator bracket mount gasket on 2004 545I, what needs to be lossened to lift the engine to r&r gasket do I need to unbolt transmission need to know a quick summary
Category: BMW
Expert:  bimmaster replied 4 years ago.

Hi, to replace this gasket. You will need to remove the top core support section. Remove the cooling fan, and belts.
Disconnect battery, and remove alternator.

Support the engine from the top if possible with a fixture tool.

Unbolt both motor mounts, and steering rack input with any electrical connectors.
Lower the subframe a little bit, let it hang on the suspension.

Remove the left motor mount arm complete, the bolts for this go through the alternator bracket.
Then unbolt the bracket and replace the gasket.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is th top core support section ?

I will have the car on jack stands only. So i'm not lifting the engine just support it and when I lower the subframe the engine will drop ? do you have any diagrams to help me

so no need to unbolt transmission and drive shaft ? How much clearence am I looking for ? Is this a 4 / 8 hr job ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bimmaster,

I'm willing to pay $60.00 for step by step with pictorial views for the complete R & R instructions

Expert:  bimmaster replied 4 years ago.
Hi, the top core section is whats over the radiator holding it in. Just need to remove about 15 t30 torx screws to remove.

This job will be a bit tricky on the ground, just use a stand to hold the motor, and lower the subframe down.

You dont have to unbolt the trans, its not that involved.

It would be about 3-4 hour job using a lift, so on the ground it wil take a bit longer.
I don't currently have pictures for this particular job. I thought you just needed a quick summary as stated above.
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience: 3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech