Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2007 BMW 550i 67,000 miles Microfilter replacement warning

Customer Question

2007 BMW 550i
67,000 miles
Microfilter replacement warning light triangle on. I need to reset the microfilter triangle warning light. I found the instructions below - but they did not work. Is there someone who knows how to do this on my car with different instructions than below?
Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:
1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car. 2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon. 3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Are you sure the microfilter is the actual problem? The exclamation point on the display means there is a check control message. Can you go into the service menu in the I drive and check which service is listed that is overdue just to make sure it is the microfilter causing this problem. Also, you can check the check control messages to see what warning is listed. If this helps, please accept or post back with what you find and I will try to help you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did check the i-drive and it is the microfilter that is giving the change warning light and nothing else. For some reason, it reset itself back to 1500 miles today. Not sure why. In any event, outside of the instructions above, I did find a .pdf which explained alot, but still lacks the reset instruction for the microfilter. If you know how I can do this, happy to accept and pay. I have an extensive document which talks about a lot of menus and sub-menus when you hold down the odometer reset button, but none of them scroll to the microfilter reset.
Brian XXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I will look into this when I am at work in the morning to see exactly how to reset the microfilter service. Hopefully I will be able to shed some light on why this is still not resetting. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

SorryCustomer

I must admit I forgot to check into the reset procedure with how busy the day was. I wrote myself a reminder for tomorrow. One suggestion, if you have been able to get other resets to work (like oil service reset) you can try to do a battery reset and then reperform the reset of the microfilter again.

Even at the dealer some times the reset with the instrument cluster will not work. We do have a back up where we can use our diagnostic tester to also perform the reset. Occasionally even that does not work and we then try a battery reset. Basically it is like doing a ctrl alt delete on your computer. All you have to do is to disconnect the negative side of the battery for 1 hour. Then reconnect. The first thing to do is to reset the time and date. Buckle the seat belt, shut the door and then try to do the reset with the instrument cluster again. Hopefully it will decide to reset. If it works please let me know and I will post an "answer" post as I am sending this as need info. My goal was to go over the steps again on a vehicle in the shop to make sure there is not a step missing for the micro filter replacement. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

I found another 5 series that matched your vehicle.

I hope this will help you to get that reset to work. If after this it still does not work you can try the battery reset and attempt again. If it still does not work then it might have to be reset using the diagnostic tester from the dealer. However, this should work.

To check to see if the microfilter needs to be reset it should be yellow or red on this screen.

graphic

The first step is to leave the vehicle off. Get in, shut the door, and buckle the seat belt.

Without starting the vehicle put the key in and press the start button twice so all of the cluster lights come on. Then press and hold the left cluster button. A triangle and exclamation point should show up.

graphic

If this display comes up then a step was incorreclty done and it will need to be started over.

graphic

Continue to hold the button unil this display come up depicting brake fluid. This is the first item that can be reset. If you continue to hold the button it will go to the wrong test screen and if you wait too long it will go back to the main display. In both cases it must be done over from the beginning by cycling the key off.

graphic

To scroll through to microfilter just press the same left cluster button with a quick press and release. Once at the microfilter you have to hold the button down until it shows RESET and then immediately let go and press it again to finalize the reset.

graphic

graphic