brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, 17 years experience, Dealership Certified, Service Manager for 15 years
11021861

Front driver side brake locks up

Customer Question

front driver side brake locks up
Category: BMW
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Does it do it every time?

On wet roads?

Only the left front?

What have you checked or tried so far to correct the problem??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only on the left front and sounds like metal rubbing as if it diidnd have a pad; I check the pads and they are intact changed padsa about 2 months. the only thing I saw as far as metal rubbing is like the inside part of the rim has a rubbing mark
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Is the caliper on tight? All the bolts in correctly?

I have seen where one bolt will come out and when the brakes are applied the caliper moves out and hit the rim causing a noise and the wheel to lock up....check this first.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Technician, 17 years experience, Dealership Certified, Service Manager for 15 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
took the whell out and all the bolts are tight and correctly. when braking i hear a metatl to metal sound and the caliper fells like is stuck and when the brake is release that caliper is locked
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Then the caliper will need to be replaced. I also suggest replacing the rubber line going to it at the same time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the caliper is new
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
What about the hose?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not the hose
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Then replace the hose as what happens in the hose break down internally and doesn't allow the fluid to return back to the master cylinder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I willtry that. if that does not work how do I get in touch with you?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Just reply as you just did the question will still be open.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
changed the hose does not lock up but makes a humming noise
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
DId you get all the air out of the system and it has a good pedal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Does it make the noise all the time or just when applying the brakes?

Is the noise coming from the wheel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all the time
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Is the noise at the wheel?

Are there any lights on the dash on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
at the wheel no lights, it is more niticeable when driving on flat asphalt road the homing increases as car spedds up and mantains as it reaches 50MPH
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried to raise the wheel off the ground and spin it to see if you can see where the noise is coming from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, but I cant get it fast enuogh to make for it to hum or maybe it needs the weight of the car to do it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If the wheel doesn't heat up when you drive it then I would put a few miles on it and see if the noise goes away. The pads may be glazed from the caliper heating and causing some noise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would the bearing hub make that noise

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
It could.....it may have gotten hot also due to the brake problem. Normally when moving the car from side to side while driving will change the noise if it is a hub bearing. Try this and see if the noise changes.