Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

02 BMW X5 Will not start, dash lights come on when key is

Customer Question

'02 BMW X5: Will not start, dash lights come on when key is inserted and turned. Battery is good. When key is turned to start, no activity. Solenoid does not click or show signs of activation. Suggestions on how to start vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

The first thing to do is to use jumper cables and use a second vehicle to make sure it is not a tired battery. Let the vehicle run for 10 minutes attached to the jump terminals under the hood. Then give it a try. If it still does not start, you should try another key. BMW uses a chip in the key and a bad key could be the problem.

If these two things do not work it will need to be scanned by the dealer to check the EWS system that sends the start message to the starter. The statuses can be checked on the BMW equiptment to save you diagnosis time so they can determine quickly if it is the starter, EWS, DME, or a bad key. If you do use the dealer please bring all of your keys when you have the vehicle dropped off as this will help the diagnosis process.

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Car is in a downtown Atlanta parking garage with low ceilings, i.e., not easily accessable to a tow vehicle. Is there a way to by-pass the EWS system to get the vehicle out of the garage to a dealer or service location?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass the EWS system. It is there to prevent theft and is rather fool proof. What your towing company will have to do is use a tow rope and pull the vehicle out of the parking garage. Having it in the parking garage does pose a problem but a towing company should have a procedure for this. Even if you insalled a new EWS it would still need to be programmed and encoded and the the rolling code needs to be aligned to even start the vehicle. If you do not have another key you could order one and try the key. A new key should automatically work after it is cycled in the ignition if it is a key problem. Although it is a shot in the dark. Your best bet would be to work with a towing company to see what process they need to remove the vehicle if another key does not work....or you can try a jump pack just to make sure it is not the battery once again....if all else fails it will need to be towed.