Cliff Burton
Cliff Burton, BMW Technician
Experience:  Master certified (Level 1) BMW tech.

how do you change the fuel pump on a 1995 bmw 740i http //

Customer Question

how do you change the fuel pump on a 1995 bmw 740i?http://www.justanswer.com/img/buttons/get_answer_on.gif
Category: BMW
Expert:  Cliff Burton replied 4 years ago.

First- if the tank is over 1/2 full- you need to siphon out some of the gas until it is 1/2 tank or less.

Next- remove the rear seat bottom by pulling up on it at the front edge.

then follow the following instructions.

16 12 000

Removing and installing / replacing the sensor for the fuel level gauge (right)
GRRA1600-17Remove rear bench seat. Unfasten rubber grommet.
GRRA1600-18Cut insulating mat along perforated line and fold open.
GRRA1600-19Remove cover. Installation: Note gasket.
GRRA1600-20Disconnect plug connection.
GRRA1600-21Disconnect the fuel pipe with special tool 13 3 010 and open the hose clamp. Petrol-driven vehicles - inlet line Diesel-driven vehicles - return line
GRRA1600-22Unscrew and remove nuts. Installation: Tighten nuts crosswise. Tightening Torque, refer to Technical Data 16 14 3AZ
GRRA1600-23Caution! Expose the connector hose under the lid. Lift up the lid as far as it will go and swing it up.
GRRA1600-24Compress retaining hook on fuel pump (black housing). Remove fuel pump from fuel baffle (white housing). Installation: Ensure that both retaining hooks locate perfectly. Check that the O-ring on the connection is perfectly seated. If necessary, carefully press down until it is correctly seated.
GRRA1600-60Caution! Do not bend sensor. Remove fuel pump (1) and sensor (2) together.
GRRA1600-61Installation: Replace rubber gasket. Caution! The "red silicone seal" used as protection against dust and dirt during transport may never be used for installation of the fuel level sensor. This transport seal is not fuel-resistant and will result in leakage of the fuel level sensor.
GRRA0000-LEERBILDRemove the fuel pump from the sensor. Note: The sensor is delivered completely with connector hose and plug connection.
GRRA1601-24Caution! Disconnect both plug connections (1) on the fuel pump. The retaining hooks on the plug connections (1) make disconnection more difficult. Separating them forcefully can cause damage. From 01/96, optimised plug connection (1) with black plastic housing. These automatically disconnect when the connector housing is pulled. Unfasten hose clip (2) and carefully remove spiral hose, avoiding damage to pump neck.
GRRA1600-90Spark ignition engines Installation: In order to avoid twists, align the connector hose and cable (1) between the lid (2) and fuel pump (3) before installing.
GRRA1601-25Diesel engines Installation: In order to avoid twists, align the connector hose and cable (1) between the lid (2) and fuel pump (3) before installing.

GRRA1601-24Caution! Disconnect both plug connections (1) on the fuel pump. The retaining hooks on the plug connections (1) make disconnection more difficult. Separating them forcefully can cause damage. From 01/96, optimised plug connection (1) with black plastic housing. These automatically disconnect when the connector housing is pulled.
GRRA1600-65Unfasten cable connector.
GRRA1600-37Unfasten hose clip, pull spiral hose off carefully, taking care not to damage the connection.

Hope this helps you out!! --Cliff

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay so do i cut the instulating mat on the driver side and passenger side or just 1 side?

Just the passenger side. You don't need to cut it- it will actually just pull apart as it's already perforated from the factory. Also-be careful putting the hose back on between the pump and the cover- it's a tight fit and it hurts if you slip.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay 1 more thing sorry for all the questions but im 16 and trying do this on my own

the little rubber cover thing thats under the mat with the wire going in to it how do i remove that? pop it off or what?

The rubber cover just pulls up. - you can pull the insulation up around the rubber cover if you want- but the rubber piece just pulls out. To put it back in use a little glass cleaner on it to make it go back in place easier.

The clamps on the old pump will need to be cut off using a pair of diaganol cutters. The clamps are stainless- so they are pretty tough. Just make sure you aren't doing anything to create sparks to cut them. If you have any more questions feel free to ask- that's why we do this. --Cliff

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok is there anyway you can give me a call to help me a little more i installed the new fuel pump but not exactly sure if i did something right

XXX-XXX-XXXX cody