Steve, BMW Technician
Experience:  city & guilds - Bmw Senior Technician

525i: 2001 model..keys..dashboard instruments were dead (happened 3

Have a 525i 2001 model and the problem is that I can not open the front doors with remote control (tried both keys). Had another problem earlier that all dashboard instruments were dead (happened 3-4 times)but now OK (so fare). Is the problem in the computer?? Is there more than one computer in this car??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

There are many control units fitted to this car they all control different functions around the car.

The instrument cluster is a small computer itself.possible dry joint if all working ok now.

The door locks are controlled by a door lock module called the ZKE unit this also controls windows and alarm functions etc.

I suspect both problems are not linked to each other.If both door locks are not working the only thing you can check is that fuse 6 & 29 are ok.

Regards Steve