Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience:  BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience

bmw 530i: leaking power steering fluid..power steering pump replaced

Hi, my BMW530i, 1994, was leaking power steering fluid. Had the power steering pump replaced with a "self-leveling" pwr steering pump. This was not the original replacement part, but one the parts dealer claimed was o.k. to use in lieu of the original. The power steering fluid is still leaking profusely. Will I have to replace the brake master cylinder to stop the leak or is it actually the pump that is the wrong type?

Category: BMW
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Let me start out with a few questions to get a better handle on the situation.

Why was the power steering pump replaced in the first place?

Why was a self leveling pump used if the car doesnt have self leveling?

Where is the power steering leaking from?

What doe the brake master have to do with what is leaking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Power steering pump was replaced because the power steering fluid leaked (The problem was discovered upon investigation of the squeeling noise when steering in turns.)

A self-leveling pump was used because the part dealer recommended the less expensive, but also acceptable, power steering pump. Apparently the 1994 BMW 530i can use either a self-leveling or non-self-leveling pwr steering pump.

As a lay person, I can't tell... What should I be looking for? All I see is a big puddle of fresh power steering fluid on my driveway (the fluid in the power steering fluid reservoir is getting lower and lower...)

The mechanic that replaced the pwr steering pump said that the pressure from the power brake and power steering systems are connected so that when one steps on the brake, the pressure in the pwr steering system goes up and leakage can occur. Is this correct? He did replace the power brake reservoir grommets which were leaking a bit and are now no longer leaking. The fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is NOT diminshing (i.e. not leaking).

So my real question is to wonder in what ways the brake and power steering are connected, if at all.

Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

I have never seen that model with hydroboost (the brake ststem that uses power steering fluid for assist). It sounds to me like the mechanic is either very misinformed or not telling you the truth.

Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

Is there something else I can help you with?

Please don't forget to accept my answer if you are satisfied with my replies.

Any more questions, just ask