Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AAA Approved Shop Owner 38 years Experience Import and Domestic
16094637

My 07 Mini Cooper S is going thru oil but not leaking. Oil

My '07 Mini Cooper S is going thru oil but not leaking. Oil light or pressure lite does not come on. Is under warranty but dealer will not diagnose oil lose. Says I should check oil everytime I fill up. Car has been in 4 times in 10,000 miles. They say I have brought it in with low oil and that it is my problem. Should they not check the oil level everytime I bring the car in? Shouldn't it be covered under warranty? What is causing car to burn oil? Why is Computer not telling me I have low oil when it tells me tire pressure is low?
I am bummed, love the car, hate the service I am getting because I don't know anything about the car. They assume I am a stupid broad. Help!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If you have done the maintenace according to the owners manual then I would suggest contacting :

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675
Call 1-800-831-1117 for Customer Relations

It should not be using oil in my opinion. Sometimes they will for the first 2000 miles but after that I think not. You may also try a different dealer. But might not hurt to call BMW North America.

Thanks, Jim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jim:

Thanks for the reply. Service Mgr told me the Mini is a high performance engine and would burn 1/2 qt for every 1000 miles. Obviously, he is not being honest about that. And the owners manual does not indicate this anywhere. Nor does the owners manual say to check oil level. I have done maintenance according to owners manual....I think the diagnostic computer is faulty since it does not offer a warning. the only light that came on was "service engine soon" and yet the turbo pooped out only hours after yellow light came on.

My question is how does one diagnose a faulty computer? Or get the service dept to check for faulty computer?

This is my first Mini Cooper, not first BMW product/auto. In 20 yrs of BMW experience (5 & 7 series) I have never had to check the oil every time I fill up (as the service dept has said I need to do) nor have I ever had such push back from the dealer on this issue. I am worried that there is deeper engine problems besides the turbo.....have you seen just the turbo go out and not other engine problems? What should I look for after turbo is replaced??? I appreciate your help on looking educated to the dealer on this matter.

Would love to go to another dealer but they are only Mini Cooper service dept (while under warranty) in 600 mile radius. Another disadvantage to getting a Mini Cooper. You are screwed when the dealer messes with you.

Also, went to Mini Client Relations......they did a great job of listening and then talked to the Service Mgr and took company line. I have to pay, not under warranty. They claim they do not check fluids unless directed by computer or customer (hence my thought on faulty computer) and how would I know as a consumer. Car was in shop 4 times in 10,000 miles and they never checked oil or topped fluids!! Is that service?? They are holding me to a higher standard than they are holding themselves and they are the "experts" or so I was told by the salesman.

Any advice you can render as to how a female business owner can deal with this shop and become a wise Mini/BMW owner/customer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sonja and the Mini Scooper (a red one)

Owner ScoopyPoo....doggydoo pickup

We Love Taking Crap From You!

First off the computer do not fail that often. On turbo engine I would suggest changing the oil every 3,000 miles. Before shutting your car off let it idle another 20 seconds or so to give turbo time to shut down. My personal feeling is that they should do a 50/50 split. When vehicles come into our shop we check fluid levels regardless of what we do. It is just good business and can adivse customer. I would press them a little harder. Your statement is true. If they know that it uses oil then it is their job to advise you of that.
Good luck , Jim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the support.

It is synthetic oil and we called to change oil at 12,000 miles....they said no can do...computer will tell us when to change oil unless you want to pay $400 to change oil!? Otherwise covered under warranty when car computer states time to change oil. Car was in at 15,300 and the computer did not indicate oil change. Computer indicated brake fluid was low or something that is why we brought it in...light indicated something with brakes. They did not check oil level so they claim. Brought car back at 17,600 (no light) but it was running poorly and knocking. They said computer indicated oil change yet there was no light indication to me. Also, stated very low oil....1 qt out of 5qts. Debris in vanos? But fixed and sent on our way no indication of potential problem. Went in two more times for various small issues including hood handle broke in my hand and couldn't check fluids (that was fixed and supposedly never checked or topped fluids).....to 8,000 miles later....car stops cold. Say its Turbo and only 2.5qts out of 5 qts oil left. No indication from computer...only yellow service engine light.

All these severe problems and no computer indication of problems. That is why I am questioning the computer accuracy.

We are pressing but the dealer is digging their heels in and is condescending and patronizing. We have hit a wall. Plus I am worried this is not the end of the saga. Fix turbo and engine goes next week.

Thanks

You are welcome. Like I said if it uses oil then you should have been given that info. They are the experts not you. Jim
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: AAA Approved Shop Owner 38 years Experience Import and Domestic