Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

98 528i: ignition switch..It spins 180 degrees and the car wont start

Customer Question

My 98 528i ignition switch where you insert the key broke. It spins 180 degrees and the car won't start. How can I start the car and replacer the switch?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you broke the mechanical portion of the switch not the electronic portion.

. If you remove the lock cylinder you can use a flat screwdriver to start it but you will need to hold the key close to the hole because there is a micro chip inside it.

Here are the repair instructions You don't need the special tool a bent regular paper clip works, I have performed this repair many times it may take some time to get it to slide out.

32 32 050Removing and installing or replacing steering-lock cylinder
Remove ring antenna, refer to 61 35 900.
GRRA3201-17With ignition key, use workshop key for better accessibility, set lock cylinder to "R" position = radio, windscreen wiper, fan.
GRRA3432-022Push special tool 32 3 110 into hole of lock cylinder and swivel handle forward by approx. 90°. Remove lock cylinder.

Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do I hold the key in place and with the paperclip in the small hole do I attempt to turn the cylinder around 90 degrees to remove it? It dosen't turn when I try it..
Expert:  Kenny replied 5 years ago.
you put the key to the run position then insert the tool and pull the key out this should remove the lock cylinder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not having any luck removing the cylinder. It won't come out. I put the key in the run position as best as I can determine and pushed the paper clip in the hole but the key keeps coming out after pulling on it for 10 seconds

Expert:  Kenny replied 5 years ago.

You will need a small scredriver and pop off the ring around it first.