Kellie, BMW Technician
Experience:  Level 1 BMW Tech, ASE Master Tech

cant open the trunk on my 740IL-I think something is caught

cant open the trunk on my 740IL-I think something is caught in the lock-remote key doesn't work, inside switch doesn't work and manual key doesn;t open it either
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kellie replied 7 years ago.
When you try to open the trunk, do you hear the actuator making any noise at all? Does it sound like it's trying to open, or is it totally silent? Do you have a pass-through or folding rear seats?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it makes a little noise-I don't think it's a broken latch, I think somehing may be stuck on/in the latch-unfortunatelyy when I went to close it, it was open a little and I pushed it shut without thinking that the reason it was open is because something was blocking the latch.

I don't know if I have fold down rear seats though it does look like there is a pass through behind the armrest.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is someone still looking into this for me? Or has my visit expired?
Expert:  Kellie replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...I got sidetracked by a surprise Valentines dinner!

If the car has a pass-through behind the arm rest, fold it down. If there isn't anything in the way, can you see if it has a glow-in-the-dark emergency trunk release handle? Your car may be an early enough model that it doesn't have that. Either way, you may be able to see if anything is stuck in the latch and possibly pull it out somewhat. Let me know if that works. If not, I have other ideas...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How nice for you!! I will check that out a little later-there is also a skinny kid across the street that might be able to crawl through if there is no glow in the dark emergency trunk release handle. I will let you know if that works. I sure wish I didn't have so much crap in it! I haven't checked the owners manual yet either (shame on me) to see if the seats fold down but there definately is a a pass through .

This happened once before but because the lid was not quite closed, I was able to pull out my purse strap which was blocking the latch.

I will let you know how it eventuates and will certainly be more mindful in the future.

Expert:  Kellie replied 7 years ago.
If you get your skinny neighbor over, show him this picture:

If he can pull at that silver cable, it should release the trunk latch. I've never tried to access it with the trunk closed from inside the trunk (can you believe that??), but he should be able to get to it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Eureka-!I finally got it open. I slid a piece of cardbboard underneath the trunk lid in an effort to clear the latch area and was able to pull a thread that was hanging outside the car which moved the throw pillow that was in the trunk and got it cleared (I was bringing some stuff over to Goodwill and a throw pillow apparently fell out of the bag and one of the tassels got stuck in the latch).

Also, it appears that whomever owned the car prior to me, had the pass-through welded shut so skinny kid wouldn't have worked. (My smart ass kid said it probably would have opened right away if I pulled out my check book).

Thanks for your help-have a lovely day!!

Expert:  Kellie replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the update! I'm glad to hear you got it open. Odd about welding the pass-through shut, but at least you didn't need it. Please let me know if you need anything else, otherwise enjoy the rest of your weekend.