Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician
Experience:  Level 1 BMW Tech, ASE Master Tech
13493797

1992 bmw 320i: electric sunroof, central locking..electric windows

Customer Question

i have a 1992 bmw 320i the electric sunroof, central locking and electric windows have packed up
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kellie replied 8 years ago.
The first thing I'd recommend checking is your fuses. I believe it's fuse 43 that can blow and cause all three of those to stop working.

There's also a relay called the comfort relay that commonly fails on these cars and causes the windows and sunroof to stop working. The comfort relay located under the dash on the drivers side on a US car, and under the glovebox on UK cars. Here's a photo:

http://i44.tinypic.com/efjtrk.jpg

Remove the relay and take the cover off so that you can inspect the circuit board. Sometimes the solder joints can corrode or break like in the picture below which will cause the relay to stop working properly. You can either re-solder it or replace it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yxj7f8.jpg

My last suggestion is to check the trunk wiring. There are a few wires that run along the hinge of your trunk, and over the years, they get worn away and short out causing all sorts of electrical problems. If you pull the rubber boot back and inspect them, you might find your problem.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi kellie the advice you gave me has no proved to be sucessful i changed the relay but it has not solved the problem however if your photos could show a british version of the correct relay as i am not entirely sure it was the correct relay or supplty the relay part number then i can check i changed the right relay

regards

john
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

regards

john