John, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW certified master tech

2005 545i: It is leaking transmission fluid..hesitates..2nd gear

Customer Question

I have a 2005 545i. It is leaking transmission fluid. It sometimes hesitates and has also "dropped out" when switching from 1st to 2nd gear. I recently had a transmission service look at my transmission and they couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission. It has 70,000 miles on it. Any ideas or any insight of transmission problems on this model?
Category: BMW
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

A common leak area for these transmissions is the wire harness housing that goes into the transmission on the upper rear right side of the transmission, there is a updated housing with updated seals part # XXXXX 34 7 588 725

Have a BMW specialist look at it first.

As for the shifting issue you might need transmission software update, only the dealer can do this for you

Good luck