AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST

Minicooper..it has to do with security system,or The ECU programing

my 2006 mini cooper S wont start.Vin No.WMWRE33516TL24631. I BELIVE it has to do with security system,or The ECU programing.

The question is for a Mini cooper s mechanic Please

Category: BMW
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Greetings!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the engine to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No power is supplied when you try to crank the engine.I suspect the control Unit(computer) is not connected to the key.what to I do

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

You may very well be correct!

DOes the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

If the Check engine light or Malfunction indicator lamp does not light up with the key in the on position, this would indicate that the computer in fact is not waking up.

If this is the case, ALL powers and grounds must be checked going to the computer.

Start by checking all fuses under the hood as well as inside the car.

Fuse Boxes

MINI COOPER
There are two fuse boxes on the MINI COOPER. One is located in the engine compartment (adjacent to the battery) and the other one is located at the base of the left side a pillar.

MINI COOPER S Only
MINI COOPER S models utilize the two fuse boxes as on the MINI COOPER and add a third fuse box. The third fuse box contains a single 250 amp fuse and is located in the rear of the vehicle near the battery compartment.
MINI COOPER S models are equipped with an additional fuse box that carries a single 250A fusible link. The box is located adjacent to the battery in the luggage compartment.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes the check engine light comes on.But like I said There is no spark.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

DO you know if you have power at the coil/coils?

DO you know if there is fuel trigger?

Fuel trigger is the signal from the computer to the injectors. You would use a tool called a noid light. It simply plugs into the injector connector after the fuel injector is unplugged and should blink when the engine is cranked over. It looks like this.

graphic

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

You could have a bad crankshaft position sensor.

But before we replace it, the tests that I have posted in my last reply should be performed. If we have power to the coils, but no ground signal trigger, then as long as the computer has all powers and grounds and the other inputs it needs, then the crankshaft position sensor may be at fault. If there is no fuel trigger and no spark we may have a bad camshaft position sensor.

Here is some info on the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor.

Crankshaft Sensor

The crankshaft sensor is a primary input to the EMS2000. It is used to determine the speed and position of the engine crankshaft. The sensor is a Hall Effect device. This provides a digital electrical signal that is created as the reluctor ring targets pass the sensor. The reluctor ring tooth pattern consists of 58 targets and a space of two missing teeth grouped together (6- tooth intervals). As the engine rotates the sensor output enables the EMS2000 to determine the crankshaft position and speed.
The missing teeth are essential for correct engine operation. They are used by the EMS2000 as an angular reference point. This information is used in combination with information from the camshaft sensor to determine the correct timing for the spark and fuel delivery.

Diagnosis
During cranking the digital signal produced by the sensor is sent to the EMS2000. The EMS2000 expects to receive a signal of 58 targets and two missing targets . If this signal is received the EMS2000 will synchronize itself to the engine. (The EMS2000 knows crankshaft position.) In the event a faulty or improper signal is received the EMS2000 will not begin or allow injection or ignition.
There is no crankshaft back up facility on the EMS2000 because the camshaft sensor target only produces one pulse per revolution.

Crankshaft sensor

Function
The signal from the crankshaft sensor is required by the engine control module to establish the rotation speed and position of the crankshaft. The Hall sensor determines a digital signal from a sensor wheel. This sensor wheel is located on the crankshaft and it has a gap in its tooth profile. The teeth are arranged at gaps of 6° around the sensor wheel. The sensor generates an electrical signal when the engine turns. This signal is routed to the engine control module.

The gap is important for correct engine operation, as it is used for the synchronization of the engine control module with the motor. For the synchronization, the position of the gap on the sensor wheel must be stored in the engine control module. The synchronization is required to establish the crankshaft position and the engine speed. This information is mainly required to calculate the firing point and the fuel delivery volume. The synchronization takes place during the starting process.

Failure
If the synchronization is not successfully concluded, the flow of fuel is interrupted.

Function

Failure

Camshaft Sensor

The signal from the camshaft sensor enables the EMS2000 to detect the position of the camshaft in relation to the position of the crankshaft. This allows the EMS2000 to synchronize the fuel injection and ignition spark.

The camshaft sensor is located in the front of the engine cylinder head just below the valve cover. The sensor reluctor ring is bolted to the front of the camshaft.

A digital signal is provided by the sensor in the range of 0-5 volts . The Hall Effect device produces one pulse for each revolution of the camshaft. The reluctor is of a half moon form with a single "tooth" that extends over 180° of the camshaft rotation.

Diagnosis
Failure of the camshaft sensor will set a fault. Testing of the sensor is done through the test plan and the measurement system, (DisPlus - GT1).

• Camshaft sensor failure will cause the injection system to default into a semi-sequential mode.
  • There is no crankshaft back up facility on the EMS2000 because the camshaft sensor target only produces one pulse per revolution.

Camshaft sensor

Function
The signal from the camshaft sensor enables the engine control module to detect the position of the exhaust camshaft. The camshaft sensor is used in conjunction with the crankshaft sensor to record in which half of the working stroke the engine is currently situated. The sensor is a Hall sensor that generates a pulse for each camshaft rotation. The sensor synchronizes the injector valves and ensures that the fuel is injected into the right cylinder at the right time.

Installation location
The sensor is located on the top side of the engine, on the belt disk end of the exhaust camshaft, below the top right engine support.

Failure
If the camshaft sensor fails, the engine control module switches to emergency operation function. The possible deterioration of the emission values this causes activates the MIL.

graphic

AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST