mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  bmw master tech ase certified

How to I replace the left rear wheel bearing on a 2004 325i ?

Hi Here are some directions Thanks mike

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the halfshaft assembly.
  5. Remove the brake caliper assembly and support it so there is no tension on the brake hose.
  6. Remove the rear brake rotor and disconnect the parking brake cable.
  7. If the BMW rear flange removal tools are not available, the trailing arm assembly will have to be removed and the axle flange and bearing pressed out in a hydraulic press.
  8. Remove the trailing arm as outlined in Section 8.
  9. Using suitable press tools, support the trailing arm in a suitable hydraulic press and press the press out the axle flange.
  10. Remove the large snapring in front of the wheel bearing.
  11. Using suitable press tools, support the trailing arm and press the bearing from the trailing arm assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe rear drive flange is pressed into the wheel bearing which is pressed into the trailing arm. The drive axle installs though the drive flange

To install:

1. Inspect the trailing arm for damage and thoroughly clean the area where the wheel bearing is installed. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the entrance of the bore where the bearing is to be installed. If necessary, chamfer the edges of the housing to avoid binding when pressing the bearing in place.
  2. Using a suitable hydraulic press and press tools, press the bearing into the trailing arm.
  3. Install the bearing snapring into the trailing arm.
  4. If necessary install the brake backing plate and related components if they will not clear the axle flange later.
  5. Support the inner bearing race of the wheel bearing and press the axle flange into the bearing.
  6. Install the trailing arm onto the vehicle, making sure to align the match marks made during disassembly.
  7. The balance of the assembly procedure is in reverse of the removal procedure making sure to properly torque and stake the axle shaft nut.
  8. Install the road wheel and torque the wheel bolts using a crisscross pattern to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike, this obviously sounds like you know what to do. I'm not a mechanic whatsoever but can fix things on my car if I have good pics and instructions. Is this something that I should leave for a pro or can an amateur such as me attempt this ?

Hi depending on what kind of tools you have you may want to take it to the shop.

We use a 10lb slide hammer to remove the outer hub assy. Have to remove the axle assy. Then you need some type of puller with the right size cones to fit the bearing so it can be pressed in and out. You could hammer out the old bearing. But must install the new one correctly or you will ruin the new bearing. Thanks mike